Honored Contributor

Re: I don't want to be dragged into court

I don't know what happens.But I suspect that you are listed as a no-show and put into the next rotation.

I am called about every 3 years for jury duty. Last time, I was sitting at work and my boss said to me "I thought you had jury duty". I did, I forgot all about it. I drove like crazy to the County Courthouse. And we sat and sat, Finally about 3PM they called all of us into a courtroom. And the lawyers looked us over. And picked their jury.

After hours of sitting in the "waiting room" a few of us started talking and having lively conversations. Well, by the time we got into the courtroom we were old friends. We laughed, here we were middle aged women. No one wanted us on the jury. It was so funny, looking at the lawyers checking us out and immediately shaking their heads.

Did not get out of there until 5PM. 

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

ALWAYS put things like that in writing and send certified mail.  You can't trust that the clerk will actually relay the message or do the right thing.  If it's in writing and you have a copy (and that all-important signed certified mail card), you have nothing to worry about.  That's your proof that you did the right thing.

I agree.  I put practically everything in writing, and for something like this I would have done that and sent it certified mail well in advance.  I probably would have called too (as the OP did), but I also would have told them that I was sending documentation. 

Even though the date has passed, my advice would be to send something in writing anyway.  I would state the reason, and mention that I had called and left messages.  I also would include medical documentation.  It might be too late, but at least it's something.  With this type of situation, I think we need to be very pro-active.  It's not hard to do, and is far preferable to waiting and worrying.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry about your broken arm and rehab, but the fact remains that you were summoned to show up for jury duty. It doesn't matter who you know or are friends with - you received a summons to show up. I've been summoned a lot of times, and sometimes it wasn't convenient for me - but I showed up. If you have a legitimate reason to be excused, the judge will excuse you. It really doesn't matter how many people say that the court will just put you on another list for later - the fact is that you show up when you receive the summons and try to be excused for a legitimate reason. That's the right way to do it.

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining   If you followed instructions then there is no need to worry.  If you followed up with a couple of calls too, don't worry.  I think it is rather rude on their part not to respond by having a clerical person contact you.  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

#CatKat1, Lol - that's pretty funny that you think someone in that court would follow up with her. I don't know how many trials are scheduled for any particular week in that particular court, but let's get serious here. It's not the court's responsibilty to follow-up with people who have other things going on in their lives and don't think they need to show up for jury duty because they're busy with other committments. The bottom line is that if you receive a jury summons and are able to show up, then that's what you do. If you have a legitimate reason to be excused, then that is most likely what will happen. It's our civic responsilvilty. I take it seriously, and most people do too.The OP should've just gone to court as required and be dismissed. End of story.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

@Silver Lining   If you followed instructions then there is no need to worry.  If you followed up with a couple of calls too, don't worry.  I think it is rather rude on their part not to respond by having a clerical person contact you.  Cat Tongue

I don't think it's rude.

I believe it was the OP herself who said that calls go to a voicemail system because they're too busy to be answering all calls all day from so many people, and it wouldn't be practical.  And that makes sense.  So by the same token, they also don't have time to be returning calls from everyone who leaves messages.   

Maybe she'll receive a response via mail.  Maybe she won't.  But they can't be expected to call everyone back  They probably listen to each message, make a note of it, and take appropriate action, whatever that may be.  The amount of messages they receive is likely staggering.  Rudeness has nothing to do with it.

Honored Contributor

After I sent in my letter with my rent agmt.  that showed I was going to be out of town, I never heard anything back.  I am down at the courthouse at least twice a week so I stopped in and personally spoke to the jury administrator to confirm I was okay.  When I talked to her and commented that I hadn't heard anything back, she said "if you sent in what you were supposed to,there was no need for us to contact you."

So based on that, if you did what you were supposed to do to be excused, I wouldn't worry about it.