Respected Contributor

Re: I don't want to be dragged into court

ALWAYS put things like that in writing and send certified mail.  You can't trust that the clerk will actually relay the message or do the right thing.  If it's in writing and you have a copy (and that all-important signed certified mail card), you have nothing to worry about.  That's your proof that you did the right thing.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

Back in 2003, I showed up for jury duty a  couple of days after surgery with my arm in a brace.  I asked for a delay in service because of my therapy .... cleark granted me six months delay with no problem.

I went home and six month later got another summons.  Not a problem.

I really enjoy jury duty ... every four years I get called.  Got on a federal grand jury one time, and in 2016 on a NYS Supreme Court jury.   You can meet lots of interesting people on jury duty ... people you would not otherwise come in contact with.  

I like jury duty, too. I've never tried to get out of honoring the summons to appear. I did make the mistake of saying in my original post here that I have not wanted to be chosen for murder cases. I don't think I could be impartial to rapists, child abusers or the majority of murderers. However, I think some defendents who have killed someone were justified in doing so although technically it was illegal.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

Um, yes they do, in fact, pursue no shows.  Otherwise, the whole country would be a no show.

My son was one of these and they sent a second love letter to him. 

Just ask for a reschedule for later this year.  Simple.

You're right. People who are self-employed don't get paid if they don't go to work, caregivers of their spouse or relatives or children, etc. can't leasily leave them. Then you have deadbeats or otherwise who just don't want to be bothered.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

The courts here also give us the option of postponing our call to duty for six months, especially if there is a medical problem, vacation, etc.  

But not if you wait until the last minute. 

We don't even have to give a reason. We are entitled to one 6-month postponement (longer postponement with dr's. note), which can be done by an automated system. At the end of that phone call, we are given a Confirmation # to acknowledge the request.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

About six or seven weeks ago I received a summons for jury duty and fully intended to show up on 1/22/18 as directed. The courthouse is one of my old stomping grounds, unfortunately, as part of being a social worker for the state. Also had two boyfriends there (not simultaneously), one a district judge and the other was the chief deputy district attorney. I digress. 

As a private citizen I really dislike murder trials and always tried to get out of being chosen during voir dire. There are very few legal reasons for murder, rightfully so, but there are also cases where the dead person got what they deserved legally or not.

Anyway, I flew off a ladder onto concrete and broke my arm on December 8th but hoped to be all better by Jan. 22nd. My arm is still healing in a sling and I have to go to physical therapy which is extremely painful three times a week so I had to decline the court's invitation to show up this week. I called and left a message as instructed to get out of it but never received a response. I got nervous about it last week and called several more times. Left explanation on the specified voice mail. No return call or e-mail. I'm going to be very annoyed if "they" send some kind of citation, or worse yet, a deputy or someone to bang on my door. 

@Silver Lining

???    Well, I don't think anyone will be "dragging" you ..... but weren't you supposed to be there yesterday?   If you didn't get to speak to someone, I hope you used your common sense and showed up.   

I would think your physician could help with some sort of note or whatever to excuse you from jury duty.  They'll just call you again sometime in the future.

You're right. I worded it incorectly. The law enforcement people here push people around or handcuff them. I've seen them in action. No, I didn't show up because I thought my following the instructions on the summons was sufficient. Yes, they'll probably call me again. That will be fine. I've been summoned many times in the past or chosen to serve on a case. Any of those is fine with me. I fully intended to go on 1/22 but had the accident in the interim and thought calling as directed was sufficient. It probably was and I'm needlessly worried.

Honored Contributor

If the instructions were to call, and you called, you should be fine.  I hope you kept a record of your calls (I seem to remember you stating that your did somewhere in this thread.)

For some reason your OP reads in such a way that it seems like you didn't do what you were supposed to do.  If you did, why are you worried?

Respected Contributor

Your phone company can provide you with a record of your calls -- not content, but that you called. 

Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Not one attorney ever wanted me for a jury as a paralegal for the State's prosecutor.  You will immediately be disqualified.  

@Fiero Woman

Nor (usually) if you have family members in law enforcement.

I have family with the FBI and it's always one of the questions on the questionnaire, but when they see that I'm always 'rejected' by the defense attorney.

I'm a paralegal and I work in criminal defense. I've served on many many juries - from civil to criminal, with my last jury trial being an armed robbery case. When there is a criminal case the judge will ask if my law firm is part of the defense or do I personally know the defense attorney or prosecutor. If I say no and if both sides want me then I am in. I have no problem with this. And to those saying b/c OP is/was a social worker she won't be picked, that is not true. It could be a civil case or something that has nothing to do with er line of work. As long as she appears to be impartial it doesn't matter.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

If the instructions were to call, and you called, you should be fine.  I hope you kept a record of your calls (I seem to remember you stating that your did somewhere in this thread.)

For some reason your OP reads in such a way that it seems like you didn't do what you were supposed to do.  If you did, why are you worried?

I did as the summons instructed. I didn't start worrying about not getting a response until last week, knowing this Monday 1/22 was the day. That's why I called numerous times last week and on the morning and late afternoon on 1/22 to confirm they had removed me from the list.  It's probably business as usual for them. I'll just deal with it if anything comes of it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You should email the clerk of courts or the jury clerk just to make sure there's nothing else you have to do.