Honored Contributor

Re: I don't want to be dragged into court

I've only been called once, and I was under Drs care, and he wrote a note telling them I was too sick to serve.  I never heard another word  from them

Now I am at an age I can refuse ,and I will if ,I am called again.  I have no desire to serve on a jury. Some people like it.  I have heard them so so.

Respected Contributor

@Silver Lining  Take your paperwork and go to the courthouse.  You can easily get an extension, or be excused due to age (if that applies).  If not, serving on a jury is very interesting and I recommend it.  

I've served and I've been excused.  I sat on a murder trial next to a man who just threw his notices away for many years and he said a sheriff was at his door this past time so that is why he was there.  He actually had some good insight when we were in deliberations based on his past experience as a "troublemaker" in his teens.

Personally, I feel it's my obligation to serve as a citizen, but that is my opinion.  Most cases are not as serious as murder trials, and I've been on cases shoplifting, threatening someone with a weapon, and first degree murder.  

Most people are asked a few questions and get excused.  The trial lawyers don't want people that really don't want to be there, they are looking for individuals who can be unbiased and willing to serve.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

So the date you were supposed to show up was 01/22?  It's the 24th?  

What happened?  

QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Um, yes they do, in fact, pursue no shows.  Otherwise, the whole country would be a no show.

My son was one of these and they sent a second love letter to him. 

Just ask for a reschedule for later this year.  Simple.

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining

Have your Dr. write a letter for you indicating your accident and that you are still under care and PT and unable to serve.  As you are a SW I don't think they would want you as well

Just send in the letter 

Respected Contributor

wrote:

When I lived in Pa. I had surgery on my ankle and was in a wheelchair. So when I got a notice for jury duty I tried to get out of it but they said a wheelchair was fine - they even sent a van to pick me up. However, it was a medical malpractice case so I was dismissed on prejudice because I was a nurse, so the nice van driver was called to take me home.

Thank you for the information, @151949. It was helpful of the court to provide transportation. I can't safely drive with my arm still painfully broken and in a sling. I am right-handed and only récently out of the brace that immobilized my shoulder and strapped my entire arm to my side. I have to go to physical therapy three times a week or lose the use of my arm. If I had been subpoenaed as a witness for one of the cases they might help but even that would be unlikely. As a social worker I have been called as a witness, sometimes for, sometimes against the defendent and we were still on our own to get there. It really hadn't occurred to me that being one uninvolved person with a legitimate medical problem among several hundred possible jurors would be significant. The summons didn't say anything about sending proof of the condition although I have it in abundance and would have provided it if requested. Thank you for your reply.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Back in 2003, I showed up for jury duty a  couple of days after surgery with my arm in a brace.  I asked for a delay in service because of my therapy .... clerk granted me six months delay with no problem.

I went home and six month later got another summons.  Not a problem.

I really enjoy jury duty ... every four years I get called.  Got on a federal grand jury one time, and in 2016 on a NYS Supreme Court jury.   You can meet lots of interesting people on jury duty ... people you would not otherwise come in contact with.  

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining The van driver said they were trying to show they were not discriminatory against the handicapped. I don't know if that was a fact or his opinion.

I was glad I did not get chosen though because I was still pretty uncomfortable from the surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

About six or seven weeks ago I received a summons for jury duty and fully intended to show up on 1/22/18 as directed. The courthouse is one of my old stomping grounds, unfortunately, as part of being a social worker for the state. Also had two boyfriends there (not simultaneously), one a district judge and the other was the chief deputy district attorney. I digress. 

@Silver Lining

Simple answer........

Why not ask your boyfriends,the Judge or the Chief Deputy District Attorney?