Honored Contributor

Re: I don't want to be dragged into court

When I lived in Pa. I had surgery on my ankle and was in a wheelchair. So when I got a notice for jury duty I tried to get out of it but they said a wheelchair was fine - they even sent a van to pick me up. However, it was a medical malpractice case so I was dismissed on prejudice because I was a nurse, so the nice van driver was called to take me home.

Honored Contributor

I had jury duty earlier this year.  I'm pretty sure there was a number to call in the event that one had to "call in sick" on their assigned jury day.  The information was not in the original summons, it was in the paperwork you receive a couple of weeks before the date you are scheduled to serve.

Esteemed Contributor

I was excused the first time, but called back about 6 months later.

The first time I went, there were several people that did not show up. The judge sent marshalls to their houses to get them. Don't know if they ever did find the people because by that time I was excused.

Oh, btw, as we only have one car and my DH has many doctor appts. they offered to have a sheriff pick me up and return me home at the end of the day.

Frequent Contributor

Last year I put the wrong day on my calendar - Wednesday instead of Tuesday - and when I realized what I had done I shrugged and said to myself, well now I'll find out if my friend who says she just tosses the notices is telling the truth.  A couple of weeks later I received a notice that I missed my assigned date and had been rescheduled.  So, here in California at least, the computer gets back to you with a nice polite reminder.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a knee replacement 3 weeks before I had to show up for jury duty.  I made it ok.  I took a doctor's note and was dismissed.  But that's life....I still had to show up to get dismissed.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

About six or seven weeks ago I received a summons for jury duty and fully intended to show up on 1/22/18 as directed. The courthouse is one of my old stomping grounds, unfortunately, as part of being a social worker for the state. Also had two boyfriends there (not simultaneously), one a district judge and the other was the chief deputy district attorney. I digress. 

As a private citizen I really dislike murder trials and always tried to get out of being chosen during voir dire. There are very few legal reasons for murder, rightfully so, but there are also cases where the dead person got what they deserved legally or not.

Anyway, I flew off a ladder onto concrete and broke my arm on December 8th but hoped to be all better by Jan. 22nd. My arm is still healing in a sling and I have to go to physical therapy which is extremely painful three times a week so I had to decline the court's invitation to show up this week. I called and left a message as instructed to get out of it but never received a response. I got nervous about it last week and called several more times. Left explanation on the specified voice mail. No return call or e-mail. I'm going to be very annoyed if "they" send some kind of citation, or worse yet, a deputy or someone to bang on my door. 

First I am very sorry you broke your arm.

Second, it's not really "an invitation" you received, is it?  It's a summons.  I just had jury duty.  Several people who appeared tried to get out of it for various reasons, pleading with the judge we had.  She wasn't hearing 99% of it.  1 woman who did have pneumonia, showed up anyway as she too did not hear back, and was wearing a medical mask there, and had a note from her doctor - she was excused.  O/T - about 75% of my jury pool had immediate family (or self) working in Government, Military, Law Enforcement or the legal profession (due to our location), that didn't work either for those who tried to get out with that excuse.

When I received the summons, it said if you are not able to appear, to send documentation, etc.  Nothing about calling voice mail.  But honestly I think they'll not do anything and just add you back to the pool of jurors for another date.

Honored Contributor

I do think they use this time to arrest those with warrants or other issues. They check backgrounds too if you are put on a jury. I've seen people "dismissed". I've served twice and was in the questioning phase for the 3rd when the 12 were picked and the rest of us were dismissed. That process took almost 3 days because it was a high profile case. I prayed not to be on it. However I think every person should go through the process if asked to because it will open your eyes to how the legal system works. As for me I've been there and done that so it's others turn now.

Esteemed Contributor

@OKPrincess - My daughter is an ADA in NY and I have attended several of her trials. It is definitely an eye opener as to what goes on during the process and how long it actually takes.

By the end of the day I was exhausted, lol. So many interruptions, side-bars, etc. 

Honored Contributor

I remember back in the day rescheduling with a live person on the phone when I needed to change was the procedure.  As a Paralegal working across the street from the Clerk's office and doing our own court hearings it was never an issue to get out of it if I needed to. 

Then a few years ago they got voice automated for taking your info. to cancel one time only and would send out a new summons.  But absolutely no return phone call from them to you to confirm your cancellation was received.  Now for your cancellation you must show up on the date that as been picked for you exactly 6 weeks to the same day from your original summons.  These rescheduled days are listed on line on monitors at the courthouse.  So now you know if you can make the rescheduled time/date as well.  Still will send a new summons.  But no one gets in touch with you.  Good luck I would think a new summons would be sent to you at some point.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@OKPrincess - My daughter is an ADA in NY and I have attended several of her trials. It is definitely an eye opener as to what goes on during the process and how long it actually takes.

By the end of the day I was exhausted, lol. So many interruptions, side-bars, etc. 

Yes and it's a little scary -- not like on Perry Mason where they jump up and confess. The part that concerned me the most was the questioning takes place in front of the defendant as well as their family members. I felt like I was on trial. I assume the jury selection process is the same for all states. I'm sure you DD could write a book.