Valued Contributor

Re: I don't want to be dragged into court

Your friendship with judges or other officials has nothing to do with the case.  It somes down to your expertise and knowledge of the case being presented.  I worked prosecution for years and of course I am swayed to believe the State.  Prejudiced before I walked in the door.  My jandrae 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarkeieMarkGreat advice, unfortunately the OP asked after she was supposed to show up! I have recently been summoned for Jury Duty. We are given a good two months notice. It's not like the OP didn't have plenty of time to contact them IN WRITING as requested by the court system. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Fiero Woman wrote:

Your friendship with judges or other officials has nothing to do with the case.  It somes down to your expertise and knowledge of the case being presented.  I worked prosecution for years and of course I am swayed to believe the State.  Prejudiced before I walked in the door.  My jandrae 

@Fiero Woman

You just said you were “swayed” (which is the same as biased) toward the state, in which case it wouldn’t be prejudice if they didn’t choose you.  Of course they wouldn’t want someone who was biased.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think, as you've seen, they have bigger fish to fry.  I wouldn't worry about it.

True, I don't swim with the sharks. I'm more of an angelfish, lol.

Respected Contributor

I would not have trusted voicemail messages myself. You should have written  so you have a record of having contacted them and also asked your doctor to write if your arm truly keeps you from serving. When I was called for jury duty, it came in the form of a summons that required a reply. Nothing to be casual about.  During voir dire, I was excluded, as I expected (yea!), no doubt because of my background as a news reporter.

Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

I am sorry about your arm, I hope it gets better. As far as jury duty, here where i live in PA, we have to fill out a paper and send it back. If you want to get out of it you need to also send a Doctors note. They don't accept calls. I hope they don't come after you (I don't know how it is in other areas, if you can call). Good  luck.

Thanks @Shorty2U. My arm still hurts most of the time and the physical therapy ramps up the pain even more. An appointment was scheduled for me several weeks ago for new x-rays and exam on 1/25. The doctor said I might need surgery if it isn't healing properly.  I can supply plenty of proof from the ER, the orthopedist, the PT, etc. I have it if asked to produce it. The summons didn't specify.

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@Shorty2U wrote:

I am sorry about your arm, I hope it gets better. As far as jury duty, here where i live in PA, we have to fill out a paper and send it back. If you want to get out of it you need to also send a Doctors note. They don't accept calls. I hope they don't come after you (I don't know how it is in other areas, if you can call). Good  luck.

Thanks @Shorty2U. My arm still hurts most of the time and the physical therapy ramps up the pain even more. An appointment was scheduled for me several weeks ago for new x-rays and exam on 1/25. The doctor said I might need surgery if it isn't healing properly.  I can supply plenty of proof from the ER, the orthopedist, the PT, etc. I have it if asked to produce it. The summons didn't specify.

@Silver Lining

I’m not sure what you need or are looking for.  I thought it was information on legitimate ways to avoid serving in that particular case, but that doesn’t seem to be it.

This is something you might want to deal with before it’s too late.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@Shorty2U wrote:

All I know is that you had to show up. You could have gone and given them a note from your doctor. It would have fulfilled your duty and you would not be anxious about any penalties. Your summons must have given you some information about being excused from jury duty. You could have gone to the website and done research. I just don't get what you need from us!!!😨

Honored Contributor

The courts here also give us the option of postponing our call to duty for six months, especially if there is a medical problem, vacation, etc.  

But not if you wait until the last minute. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was mailed a notice for jury duty last year and the instructions stated that I had to go online to verify the summons and register. (this had to be done within a certain amont of days) I was given a verification number and to check in when the date got closer. I kept the notice on my refrigerator and checked the courthouse instructions for potential jurors periodically. The final step before reporting was to check my status after five p.m the day before, it was then I found out that I didn't have to report after all.

This is in the state of Massachusetts

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson