Respected Contributor

Re: I don't understand people

@catwhisperer, I am sorry for your loss.

I understand what you are saying.  In the past 6 months, I heard from a friend I went to school with through a message on facebook. We were very close friends and had so much fun together.

She wanted to email me and get in touch as it's been at least 30 years, but she moved.  She lives on the western part of the US and I'm on the eastern side.

I gave her my email addy and she wrote me and we stayed in touch.  She was still working full time but I heard from her about once a week.  She is married but her DH is not home that much because his job requires traveling.

She recently retired and I have been emailing her but don't hear back.  Weeks go by and I wonder if she's ok.  So I'll email again and put in the subject line "just checking in".  Then I'll hear back.  She'll ask what's new and I'll update her along with asking her what's new in her life, etc.  Again, I hear nothing.

To me, it doesn't make sense because she's the one who reached out to me and I was thrilled to hear from her.  Now, I can't get any replies from her and she's retired. 

I answered her last email a few weeks ago, along with my thoughts on a situation she was going through, but as of this writing, have heard nothing.

I have decided to give up; I can't make her email me and I have to just let it go to keep my sanity.

Respected Contributor

@HisElk1....something may have changed in her life or something may have happened to where she just doesn't have the strength emotionally to chat now. Hard to say. We don't always have ways of knowing what people have going on in their lives.

Right after my DH died, I was on such a roller coaster ride with my emotions, I truly thought I had lost my mind. It's a very slow process trying to adjust to him being gone and my emotions are still all over the place at times, but I try to just take one day at a time. Some days are better than others.

Maybe one day your friend will contact you again, but in the meantime, I think you have done all you can do.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

@catwhisperer They could be tired, not well , and every one is busy, there is a variety thing going on in people's live. Don't feel slighted it just the way life goes sometimes. It could be so many reason why they didn't call. Heart

Respected Contributor

It seems we live in a world where you just say stuff and nothing has to have any meaning.  I hears callers say to hosts they love them and the hosts say they love them too.  Love has lost its meaning.  I would say I like the way you present things or I like your personality.  We just love everything.  I have been on a phone call (they called me and they said I have to take this incoming call and will call you back).  I don't hold my breath.  When someone says they will call me or lets get together etc etc. I smile and say that would be great and then forget the whole conversation.  I know I will not hear from them.  I have family that everything they say goes in one ear and out the other.  Don't even get me started on being late.......

Honored Contributor

Who knows?            So many possibilities.  I wouldn't think twice about it.  It is or it isn't.

Honored Contributor

You certainly will never find a friend if you don't mingle among people. I can't think of anytime  that I didn't find a friend through outside sources, a club, or church, or a hobby, your children when they were in school. None of them ended up at my door saying I am here to be your friend.. We found each other as we traveled through life

I

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

I appreciate your honesty, but if you don't mean what you say, then you should not say it. Maybe I am old school, but I was raised to be honest and if I say I am going to do something, I stand by my word. Very sad that people nowadays just say anything and have no intention of following up. 

Edited to add, I honestly don't know what the purpose is for having a phone if you refuse to answer it.

People fill space with words.  It's just the way it is.  You can't change them.  You can change how you feel when they don't call or don't call back. I know, it's easier said than done but practice will help.