Honored Contributor

Re: I don't understand people

I think people say it to end a conversation pleasantly or to fill awkward silence.  By not returning the call, they are saying they didn't mean it.  It's kinda like a cowards way of handling a breakup.

Valued Contributor

Friendships and relationships naturally run their course. Sounds like that’s one of them.
Respected Contributor

My situation is that my DH died several months ago and I think my friends and relatives don't know what to say, so they just avoid contact with me. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

I may have mentioned this before but one of my favorite things is when a friend used to say, when people asked him how he was, he would say:

"I'm glad you asked! You got 3 hours?

Sit down!"

Lol! I love that.

Also sometimes when people ask me how I am,(which I agree is just a not meaning it at all question these days),

I don't answer and say how are you? and they say oh good (as if I had answered!)

There are so many meaningless sayings these days, not sincere but you know what I really love?

When a stranger like a cashier asks how you are and actually waits for your answer! In some towns, this really happens. That just always restores my faith in kind humans.

Now with your dog, (or friendly cat or bird or pet) you never have to wonder if they are so happy happy to see you and wonder how you are!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

My situation is that my DH died several months ago and I think my friends and relatives don't know what to say, so they just avoid contact with me. 

@catwhisperer I'm so very sorry about your loss.

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

It is rude and disrespectful and I have no use for these people in my life.

@catwhisperer On the flip side are people who put you on the spot, demand your time and attention, and insist on your answering on the spot when we will get together, etc.

I think a lot of this is because people don't really know what to say.  You can't say "NO I'm not going to call you" now can you?  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer  You don't need friends like that.  Friends?  I don't think so.  Stay with people that hold the same values as you.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer,

I get this!   In the last week, I have been ready to scream at 5 people over their failure to communicate!   

I have decided a lot of people have the same bad habit as my husband; failure to connect what comes out of their mouth to their brain.   My husband has a bad habit of nonstop talking when he is in a group of people, and then not remembering half of what he said.   And when I mention it to him, his response is “I just get caught up in talking!”   And my reminder to him is “to do less talking and more listening”. 

Super Contributor

@catwhisperer 💕💗💓💕

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option." Maya Angelou 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner -

I've never actually had anyone do this but you seem like you are speaking from experience.

If someone asks me to get together though and I can't or am not sure or don't want to at the time I would just tell them.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"