Honored Contributor

Re: I do watch PBS, and I'd watch more often if

I think PBS is wonderful, and it's a national treasure in peril. With sharp cuts to funding, and enormous production costs, I'm not sure I understand why the fund raisers are such a problem with some viewers. They offer us such a wealth of programming we don't see elsewhere, by eschewing commercial interruptions they try to do so with less bias than other networks, and they're such an incredible educational tool for all. The support has to come from somewhere, and the more of it that comes from viewers the better chance we can see all views on all sorts of topics.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

PBS used to have more government funding until a certain political party decided that PBS was despicable and tried to eliminate them altogether. That is why they have more pledge drives. If everyone who watches PBS gave them even $20 a year you would never see another pledge drive.
Honored Contributor

If all who enjoy PBS, and also NPR, would give only a tiny amount each year it would make an enormous difference and the pledge drives would go back to being few and far between, and with better programming the way they used to be. I remember wonderful shows during the fund-raisers, like Leo Buscaglia and his heartwarming talks. Just the price of something like a Starbuck's coffee for a day or two can make a huge difference.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

If the gov't is in fact cutting funding to PBS it is fine with me because PBS is no longer necessary. In the beginning, they were supposed to be the place to see quality programming. There are plenty of places to see quality programming now. And with the advent of streaming people can pay a few bucks a month and have access to all kinds of programs.

Sorry but they can fund their programming the way everyone else does. Through subscriptions or commercials. It's a waste of tax money.

Respected Contributor

PBS is terrible in S. Florida. I grew up in the Boston area and loved their educational shows. I stopped watching PBS down here, but among their "treats" at the point when I stopped watching and gave up were "Lawrence Welk" reruns.

I do support NPR with a donation during the pledge drives. Don't know what I would do without it. I esp. love Science Friday and the funny shows on Sat. AM, especially "Wait, Wait..."

Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2015 dooBdoo said:

I think PBS is wonderful, and it's a national treasure in peril. With sharp cuts to funding, and enormous production costs, I'm not sure I understand why the fund raisers are such a problem with some viewers. They offer us such a wealth of programming we don't see elsewhere, by eschewing commercial interruptions they try to do so with less bias than other networks, and they're such an incredible educational tool for all. The support has to come from somewhere, and the more of it that comes from viewers the better chance we can see all views on all sorts of topics.

Absolutely. And it is just not true that their programming is not needed.

Anyone remember what The Learning Channel used to be? Now it's hoarders and honey boo boos.

Esteemed Contributor

I watch PBS more than any other channel.

I never realized people objected to their content.

Respected Contributor

I agree that A& E, Bravo, TLC and others started as education, arts, better programming but have sunk to the lowest common tastes of "reality" shows . Disappointing. All this talk of defunding PBS started with a political party who claims they are saving taxes. They claim the shows are skewed. If they want to save taxes there are many things they could do like reducing legislator perks. But no, that would open them up to influence from lobbyists. LOL

Respected Contributor

On 3/26/2015 Lila Belle said:

I watch PBS more than any other channel.

I never realized people objected to their content.

Me as well Lila Belle. For my taste there is little on the other channels I'm interested in watching except perhaps the History Channel, News and occasionally the Hallmark channel. Some of the content out there I prefer not to even put in my mind.

Honored Contributor

We do not subscribe to the premium cable stations so do not watch the more popular series.

I am looking forward to Wolf Hall on PBS. I believe it begins Easter Sunday and continue for 6 weeks..