Honored Contributor

Re: I do watch PBS, and I'd watch more often if

On 3/24/2015 Marienkaefer2 said:
On 3/24/2015 NoelSeven said:

I look at what's going to be on TV ahead of time and I program the DVR to catch it all in case I get busy or forget.

I always have a back-up of programs to watch, I still haven't caught up with Foyle's War, which I love.

There's no reason to complain about Pledge Breaks if you plan ahead. Surely you don't watch whatever comes up on ABC, CBS or NBC? What do complaining people do during the Summer?

Tape the programs you like on PBS and watch them when you're available or in the mood. And try watching some of the science shows...

Noel, I forgot about Foyle' s War. Love that one, too! I'm sure more will come. Also, Frontline.

Yes, there are so many programs available, I forget about some until I check to see what's on. There's a new Midsomer I taped. I also like the Inspector Lewis series at Oxford.

Oh, and do you watch The Last Tango? I can't wait for their new season!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2015 Marienkaefer2 said: I love PBS. Let me count the ways: Downtown, Call The Midwife, Mr. Selfridge, Father Brown, Grantchester, Vera, Midsomer Murders, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, MI5, Doc Martin, Antiques Roadshow, local programs like Oregon Field Guide and In Close, Rick Steves, Globe Trekker, Great Performances, Charlie Rose, Washington Week, The Newshour (especially Fridays with Shields and Brooks), documentaries like The Italian Americans, The Roosevelts, etc. I think there is a lot on PBS. It's the most watched channel at our house, and yes we do financially support it.

We have many of the same favorites! {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Why am I not surprised? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I also love the Sherlock Holmes stories, especially with Benedict Cumberbatch. And I'll watch any of their genealogy programs I see presented. They have one like a roadshow they're doing lately, checking out the stories of everyday citizens.

I love Sherlock Homes too! GMTA. Smiley Happy

I really love Miss Fisher, including the new guy almost every week {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

OH I KNOW. She always gets cute ones. Smiley Happy I would love to BE Miss Fisher! Smiley Happy I love the way she dresses too.

OMG, her clothes! I could watch just for that reason. I'd like to be Miss Fisher, too {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Respected Contributor

I had a perfectly reasonable reply to post #45....it's gone. Huh.

Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2015 lacey1 said:
On 3/24/2015 lulu2 said:
On 3/24/2015 lacey1 said:

Yes, I have. I have no desire to watch it-but I've heard of it. Too many other, more interesting choices on cable. I'd rather watch creative, amusing commercials than never-ending pledge breaks.

Downton Abbey was shown with no interruptions. (the thing I like best about PBS)

That's nice, I hope you enjoyed it and you are a regular contributor! What do you watch when they are running the 'Diabetes Solution' or one of their countless other infomercials?

Yes, I am a contributor.

I've never seen the Diabetes Solution or any infomercials on PBS.

When we watch other channels, for every creative, amusing commercial I've seen, there are dozens of less than creative and amusing ones.

Respected Contributor

I will try again.

Perhaps the funding for PBS is being pulled is because PBS is no longer necessary. If we are going to watch commercials we might as well watch entertaining ones like the one for a beverage I mentioned in my removed post.

There is a lot of quality programming out there now and so good programs like Downton will find a home.

Respected Contributor

Downton Abbey is ending after Season Six.

http://www.slashfilm.com/downton-abbey-ending/

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2015 RoughDraft said:

Downton Abbey is ending after Season Six.

http://www.slashfilm.com/downton-abbey-ending/

Sad to see it go after next year.

Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 Lion said:
On 3/24/2015 sfnative said:
On 3/24/2015 Lila Belle said:

The pledge drives remind me to pledge. I do the automatic pledge.

My local PBS shows the best of their programming during pledge time.

Don't you get it? It's a draw, just to get people to watch and pledge. I refuse to fall for that snake oil marketing.

It's not "snale oil marketing".

PBS is mostly self-supporting and they depend on *public* pledges/donations to continue to exist.

I don't know about CA or other states, but the jerks in current legislative power here are cutting PBS budgets to the bone. They'd like nothing more than to see PBS fail and cease to exist.

As much as I miss my regular programming and am glad when the seasonal pledge drives are over, I know it's something they have to do and I'm glad to help out with my donations.

It's those pledge drives that keep "Downton Abbey", "Call the Midwife", and all the other shows so many love to watch on the air.

It's a small price to pay to keep such great TV programs on the air.

I agree with you, Lion. It's also a small price to pay for an extended education. The science and history programs are wonderful!

I would also hope most parents or others with children for one reason or another encouraged their kids to watch Sesame Street. My daughter's favorite show was Mr. Rogers, even the old reruns.

I agree with you both, Noel and Lion.

Snake oil? LOL.

I als o have three PBS stations in my area. If I don't like the programming on one, I check the others.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2015 mstyrion 1 said:
On 3/24/2015 Lion said:
On 3/24/2015 sfnative said:
On 3/24/2015 Lila Belle said:

The pledge drives remind me to pledge. I do the automatic pledge.

My local PBS shows the best of their programming during pledge time.

Don't you get it? It's a draw, just to get people to watch and pledge. I refuse to fall for that snake oil marketing.

It's not "snale oil marketing".

PBS is mostly self-supporting and they depend on *public* pledges/donations to continue to exist.

I don't know about CA or other states, but the jerks in current legislative power here are cutting PBS budgets to the bone. They'd like nothing more than to see PBS fail and cease to exist.

As much as I miss my regular programming and am glad when the seasonal pledge drives are over, I know it's something they have to do and I'm glad to help out with my donations.

It's those pledge drives that keep "Downton Abbey", "Call the Midwife", and all the other shows so many love to watch on the air.

It's a small price to pay to keep such great TV programs on the air.

I agree with you, Lion. It's also a small price to pay for an extended education. The science and history programs are wonderful!

I would also hope most parents or others with children for one reason or another encouraged their kids to watch Sesame Street. My daughter's favorite show was Mr. Rogers, even the old reruns.

I agree with you both, Noel and Lion.

Snake oil? LOL.

I als o have three PBS stations in my area. If I don't like the programming on one, I check the others.

Yes, and I have never seen them run pledge drives on them all at the same time.

Speaking of Downton Abbey and its final season next January, Julian Fellowes is creating a new series set in America. Not in modern times. It will also be on PBS,

Another good thing to know is that the really good programming is often repeated in the middle of the night. I sometimes tape what's playing at 2 or 3am because it's something I missed.

Respected Contributor

Sorry, Blahblah. I meant "as Time Goes By", not "Yes, Minister"!