Respected Contributor

Re: I do watch PBS, and I'd watch more often if

Do I pledge? Never. I strongly disagree with some of their attitudes and opinions.
Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2015 Justice4all said: They shamelessly pander to different ethnic groups during their pledge drive. Groups they might at other times slander..... Do I watch? Sure, at times

You mean like running a documentary on MLK in January?

Shameless pandering... apparently defined as telling the history of Jews, African-Americans, Native Americans, etc. without sugar-coating it.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 MJ 12 said:
On 3/24/2015 beammeupscottie said:

So someone expressing an opinion is now whining. Got it. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Actually I didn't mean this thread, I am thinking of previous threads, in which a few complained about "money-begging" on PBS. Stuff like that, yes, it's whining.

Well you posted your whining opinion on THIS thread.

As usual, anyone who doesn't agree is whining.

Respected Contributor

I enjoy PBS and have ordered tickets through them for great concerts that I wouldn't normally have known about.

Moody Blues

Motown

Il Divo

They were awesome concerts and I have great pictures to remember them by from the meet and greet.

I just received the CDs from The Yearbook series of greatest hits of the 50s and 60s. Wonderful CDs.

Respected Contributor

Shameless pandering, Noel, when some groups are erroneously portrayed and then, tee hee, look we are acknowledging that you have a right to exist. I am a huge Martin Luther King fan, in response to your remarks. What would be better is if they had continuous programming on say, Native Americans, not just as part of a fund raiser.
Respected Contributor

The membership drives used to be only 3 or 4 times a year. I actually looked forward to them and the special programming. Remember Riverdance with Michael Flatley? Now they are on all the time and the type of programs they have are not interesting to me. Sometimes, in my area, all the PBS stations are having drives at the same time. I am generally unhappy with public television and rarely watch anymore.

Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2015 MJ 12 said:
On 3/24/2015 beammeupscottie said:

So someone expressing an opinion is now whining. Got it. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Actually I didn't mean this thread, I am thinking of previous threads, in which a few complained about "money-begging" on PBS. Stuff like that, yes, it's whining.

It's also about not thinking it through: No pledge drives, no PBS.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

ITA, Noel.

Trusted Contributor

I think the whole idea behind PBS has been dismantled because of cable TV. It served a purpose when there were only 3 network channels and PBS, but now it seems to have run it's course.

Trusted Contributor

My local stations used to show a good number of comedies and dramas, and like A&E and BBC America, the good stuff disappeared. They tended to whine about how expensive it was to air 30-year-old British comedies. Outside of the mysteries, I ignore PBS.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.