Respected Contributor

Re: I do watch PBS, and I'd watch more often if

I am also looking forward to Wolf Hall. We do not subscribe to the premium channels also.

Respected Contributor

Programming that people want will be available via a variety of methods. We are not locked in to 3 stations anymore.

Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2015 Burnsite said:

PBS is terrible in S. Florida. I grew up in the Boston area and loved their educational shows. I stopped watching PBS down here, but among their "treats" at the point when I stopped watching and gave up were "Lawrence Welk" reruns.

I do support NPR with a donation during the pledge drives. Don't know what I would do without it. I esp. love Science Friday and the funny shows on Sat. AM, especially "Wait, Wait..."

Burnsite, I know the programming has suffered in some locales. Boston has a fabulous reputation for their shows, and I hope they continue to survive in this challenging atmosphere. We're so fortunate in my area, because we have access to 5 different PBS stations (including the "Knowledge" channels).

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2015 MJ 12 said:
On 3/25/2015 dooBdoo said:

I think PBS is wonderful, and it's a national treasure in peril. With sharp cuts to funding, and enormous production costs, I'm not sure I understand why the fund raisers are such a problem with some viewers. They offer us such a wealth of programming we don't see elsewhere, by eschewing commercial interruptions they try to do so with less bias than other networks, and they're such an incredible educational tool for all. The support has to come from somewhere, and the more of it that comes from viewers the better chance we can see all views on all sorts of topics.

Absolutely. And it is just not true that their programming is not needed.

Anyone remember what The Learning Channel used to be? Now it's hoarders and honey boo boos.

I know, MJ. As HiLo and traveler said, the other networks have slowly disintegrated before our eyes. It's the unfortunate nature of commercial tv, and so much of it is drowning in "reality tv." Yikes, what an entertainment "legacy" for the next generation. I hope we don't see the demise of PBS. That would be such a loss, and such a blow to the rich wealth of high-quality programming.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

On 3/26/2015 lulu2 said:

We do not subscribe to the premium cable stations so do not watch the more popular series.

I am looking forward to Wolf Hall on PBS. I believe it begins Easter Sunday and continue for 6 weeks..

We have tickets to see Wolf Hall in early May.

Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2015 muttmom said:
On 3/26/2015 lulu2 said:

We do not subscribe to the premium cable stations so do not watch the more popular series.

I am looking forward to Wolf Hall on PBS. I believe it begins Easter Sunday and continue for 6 weeks..

We have tickets to see Wolf Hall in early May.

Lucky you!! I'm jealous.{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}{#emotions_dlg.laugh} (jk) I hope you'll give us an update after you see it, muttmom.

Respected Contributor

Is it a retelling of A Man for All Seasons?

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/26/2015 MJ 12 said:
On 3/25/2015 dooBdoo said:

I think PBS is wonderful, and it's a national treasure in peril. With sharp cuts to funding, and enormous production costs, I'm not sure I understand why the fund raisers are such a problem with some viewers. They offer us such a wealth of programming we don't see elsewhere, by eschewing commercial interruptions they try to do so with less bias than other networks, and they're such an incredible educational tool for all. The support has to come from somewhere, and the more of it that comes from viewers the better chance we can see all views on all sorts of topics.

Absolutely. And it is just not true that their programming is not needed.

Anyone remember what The Learning Channel used to be? Now it's hoarders and honey boo boos.

PBS is absolutely wonderful. It is television 'worth watching'.

We have 2 channels that always has quality programs featuring great music, the arts, creative shows, along with something for every age. The pledge drives are usually every 3 months. Our contribution would be in the $300.00 amount. There is very little on sponsored tv station that interest us. I do agree with all of the positive reasons posted here -why PBS is worth supporting- *MJ 12 /dooBdoo*.

I buy a lot of the great operas, music from different decades, along with concert tickets when available. ~We love the nature programs when animals are shown~.

I refuse all of this junk trash (supply and demand ) on tv within the last 8 years!

To be able to actully sit, spending my time to enjoy quality anything without commerical -after- commerical, has begun to be a luxury for many viewers who insist on "not being in the typical followers of -Just What Is Out There.

I was surprised to hear snake oil marketing. That tells me, I can think for myself. A very rare goal for most. How do people predict '`that`' quality does have a cost?Actually, I do not have anything in common with the average tv watcher.

Even if you could ONLY contribute $1.00, then you are a member.

_Naes