Honored Contributor

Re: I did not get the Job--thinking of Filing a Sexism Complaint

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@JBKO wrote:
I have been working for this company for 3 years. Last year I applied to the same position and had a meeting with the manager discussing the decision and what is required. I did not jump to conclusions. I am trying to decide what the next steps are. I have had excellent performance evaluations and have been told by supervisors, managers, and the head of the department that I am head and shoulders above the other employees.

I know that most of you are trying to help and I appreciate it. I hate sounding defensive but perhaps you do not know the entire story and it is difficult to convey on a written forum. I will try to answer questions as best I can so you can get a more accurate picture. Hope you understand.

It does not matter how long you have been there, what your performance evals are, or what supes, managers and the head of the department have told you in the past.

All of that means nothing.

You are comming across of having the attitude of entitlement.

No one is entitled to any job, just because of who they are, their education, how long they have been there, or who said what.

No one is that special, that any company owes them an advancement, just because of who they are.

Someone asked her how long she had been there.  She's answering the question. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just don't act negative around the man that was promoted. He will pick up on it, as well as others. Just do your job.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi JBKO,

Unfortunately many things in life seem very unfair, and this scenario is certainly one of them, but it is not a smart idea to call unwanted attention to yourself by filing any complaints.

People are not selected for promotions or employment for a vast variety of reasons.....reasons which may not be crystal clear to you, but they most likely were  to those in command.

Like I said JBKO it is unfair, but best for you not to make waves, and certainly not to bring any unwanted negative and perhaps even selfish attention to yourself.

When I hired employees in the past there were quite a few qualities, and guidelines I followed, and not everyone made the mark......such is life.

Take the high road and wish the victor well, and do not display any change in "team attitude", because no one wants to engage with a person who can not go with the flow, always have team spirit and be a team player.

Call this a learning experience, and either try again in future, or look for employment elsewhere.

Critique your own strong and weak points, and try and gain control over the areas which need more strengthening.  

The ball is in your court so to speak, just ensure your motivation is lead by a true desire to succeed, gain respect, have financial prosperity, be a team player, and not for any other reasons which may cause a negative experience again.

Good luck! 

Respected Contributor

These kinds of circumstances can be for any number of reasons.  It would be hard to give any advice or prove.  I would say you need to do what you think is best for you taking into consideration all outcomes.  It's good that your seeking legal advice though.  Good luck.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Trusted Contributor

Thank you everyone for your kind and not sonkind words. I am trying to make the best out of a difficult situation.
A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

Some of you are really harsh.  Geez.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Some of you are really harsh.  Geez.

Op wanted feedback good or bad. Most do feel bad for her disappointment. The way she handles this situation after the disappointment, is the key.

Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:
I do not gossip. Everything has been told to me over the years. I didn't even go to the Xmas party. Again, please stop assuming the worse.

Maybe you should go to the Xmas party.

Respected Contributor

@JBKO

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Trusted Contributor

Thank you Karnerblue! So hopeful😀
A friend in need is a friend indeed.