Honored Contributor

Re: I did not get the Job--thinking of Filing a Sexism Complaint

@IamMrsG wrote:

One Two more points to consider:  If it's worth anything to you, if your case is weak and you thereby get labeled as a pot-stirrer, your future with the company is as good as null and void the minute you file the complaint.  Also think about any reference you may want/need from them as you seek other employment.

And be prepared to have your working life made miserable once you become known as that person.

Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

I have point blank asked if there are any concerns when it comes to my job performance and I was told no not all--twice.

And that may be the truth but it doesn't mean you deserved the job over the person the company chose to hire.  You need to ask why he was given the job over you.

Trusted Contributor

One of the few female supervisors we had, had filed a sexual harrasment complaint and she went on to be promoted.
A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Super Contributor

@JBKO wrote:
One of the supervisors had a write up for tardiness before he got promoted...

And how do you know this?  You are part of the office gossip?  Not a quality of a supervisor.  Grow up before you apply again.  Go ahead a file a suit.  They will tear you apart on why they did not hire you.  I certainly would not promote you.  You are petty, a part of the office gossip, and not supervisory material.

Respected Contributor

OP,

Not being selected for a job you really felt ready for stings. No doubt about it. Especially because you just found out. It's perfectly OK to vent here.  Just watch out that you don't at work.

I was a supervisor in charge in interviewing and hiring.  There are so many variables involved in why one person is selected and the other isn't. Especially for a management job. Sometimes it invovles things like previous committee work, continuing education, or mentoring of other employees.  Things that demonstrate leadership qualities.  

The name of a university frankly never influenced my decision in making a selection. Job seniority also had little to do with it.  

I will echo others suggestions...get in touch with the interviewer or de ision maker. Ask for an appointment to get feed back.  Not only will it help you for future opportunities, but it will let your company know you are serious about advancing.

~Enough is enough~
Trusted Contributor

She volunteered the information to me. I did not ask she told me on her own volition. You don't have to believe it but that is exacly what happened.
Trusted Contributor

I do not gossip. Everything has been told to me over the years. I didn't even go to the Xmas party. Again, please stop assuming the worse.
Respected Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

I don't want to sue--I want to put in a complaint with either HR or the Labor Department for my state. I didnt call out for 15 months when I started this job, I have never even stepped away to make a phone call. I am late maybe like once a month by 7 minutes. I don't like to talk about myself like this, but I know from working there that it is increasingly easier for males who have been there for less time and less qualifications to move up. In our job requirements we need to work weekends which I do, and the individual that was selected doesn't. It is just so many things that I feel like I need to do something about it. I have never ever gone to HR in the past.

@JBKO  You know, after reading this latest statement from you, I'm beginning to understand your situation a little better.  I feel your frustration, but legally I don't think there's anything you can do that will improve your situation at that particular place of employment.  If the job climate there is truly as you describe, then I believe your best option is to quietly continue to look for employment elsewhere.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

A little advice, don't respond to posters whose agenda is to hurt your feelings, they don't deserve a response, they are not worth your time.

Honored Contributor

"How is this ok?"

Because the workplace in general, anywhere and everywhere and under all circumstances does not have quotas for s*x, race or (dis)ability - nor should they.

Because being the best person for *the job* (the ENTIRE job, not just part of it) does not necessarily equate to having worked at the company longer/longest or (lol) having a degree from a university one perceives to be more prestigious, and therefore "worth more" in the promotion stakes than another. Seriously? It's what the person DOES with their education that counts.

Last but not least - personality. Wise management will not promote someone if they feel that it would be detrimental to the workplace in terms of someone not behaving well under stress and taking it out on others, or just plain having a personality they know will not work well with others in the promoted situation. That is definitely management's prerogative - and even if they're wrong, it's not discrimination.

Grasping at straws to try out secksual discrimination as a disappointment retaliation will get you nowhere but OUT the next time they have an excuse and NEVER getting a promotion there.

You've tried to get other jobs. You haven't been successful. Your promotion attempt was not successful. You could manage to get yourself out of a job altogether, and earmarked in your field as a threatened lawsuit manipulator.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all