Trusted Contributor

Re: I did not get the Job--thinking of Filing a Sexism Complaint

I have been working for this company for 3 years. Last year I applied to the same position and had a meeting with the manager discussing the decision and what is required. I did not jump to conclusions. I am trying to decide what the next steps are. I have had excellent performance evaluations and have been told by supervisors, managers, and the head of the department that I am head and shoulders above the other employees.

I know that most of you are trying to help and I appreciate it. I hate sounding defensive but perhaps you do not know the entire story and it is difficult to convey on a written forum. I will try to answer questions as best I can so you can get a more accurate picture. Hope you understand.
A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't be surprised if the company picked up on your dissatisfaction with them and that was a factor in not wanting to promote you.

Going to HR with whines and complaints about others is not going to help you.

I agree that if you want to know why you didn't get the promotion, the only thing you should be doing is asking them what you need to do to be considered for the next one.

Honored Contributor

P.S.  I've never worked for a company that decided it needed a balance of the sexes in management (or anywhere else).

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry you did not get the  job.  Seems however if you file a complaint and win you will always be the one who filed the complaint AND WON and it might be uncomfortable. Unless you know why and what happened to give the job to someone else you might not be the winner in the end.  

I have family members who are still applying, very qualified and they are finding that the jobs are advertised because they have to be.. but the job is spoken for and decided even before the offering goes out.  

Esteemed Contributor

I would not dream of filing while still working for the company, I just wouldn't want to deal with the resulting stress every day. Find a new job, and then if it is still bugging you, consult an employment law attorney. I don't think your acknowledgment of "being late once a month" will work in your favor. That reason alone would prevent me from filing. Great employees who advance within a company set the standard, they are in earlier than everyone and never late.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Trusted Contributor

One of the supervisors had a write up for tardiness before he got promoted...
A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Esteemed Contributor

@JBKO wrote:
I have been working for this company for 3 years. Last year I applied to the same position and had a meeting with the manager discussing the decision and what is required. I did not jump to conclusions. I am trying to decide what the next steps are. I have had excellent performance evaluations and have been told by supervisors, managers, and the head of the department that I am head and shoulders above the other employees.

I know that most of you are trying to help and I appreciate it. I hate sounding defensive but perhaps you do not know the entire story and it is difficult to convey on a written forum. I will try to answer questions as best I can so you can get a more accurate picture. Hope you understand.

It does not matter how long you have been there, what your performance evals are, or what supes, managers and the head of the department have told you in the past.

All of that means nothing.

You are comming across of having the attitude of entitlement.

No one is entitled to any job, just because of who they are, their education, how long they have been there, or who said what.

No one is that special, that any company owes them an advancement, just because of who they are.

Honored Contributor

You have been there 3 years, him about 2.  Not much difference imo.  I don't think

graduating from a top-tier university means that much anymore (like it used to be), besides big fat loans in most cases.   

Honored Contributor

You will never be able to prove your case with absolute certainty, if you pursue this you also will make yourself virtually unhireable in the future.

Esteemed Contributor

@JBKO wrote:
One of the supervisors had a write up for tardiness before he got promoted...

So?

Right now, you are coming across as a tattle-tale and sounding like a kindergartner.

Is that really the impression you want your bosses to have of you?