Esteemed Contributor

Re: I did not get the Job--thinking of Filing a Sexism Complaint

Remember, things can change.  Who knows how long someone will stay in a position.  I do know that an employer is not obligated to just hire so many females/males to do a job.  It is to whomever is qualified and who they select to do the job.  If you really feel that there was some unfairness due to your gender, then by all means make them aware of it.  Have you tried asking where you fell short of getting the job?  Maybe there's an answer there. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

I have point blank asked if there are any concerns when it comes to my job performance and I was told no not all--twice.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry that you didn't get the job, but if you file a sexism omplaint, this will be on your permanent record. Have you given any thought as to how this might affect your future with this company, or your opportunities to go with other firms.  I feel sure that should another firm contact your present employer for a reference, this would come up.  Take a long time to consider this,  please.

I also know of no rule or law that requires equal opportunities for either sex. If your company does not have equal men/women in every position, you should not feel that this was about your being female.  No one here wants to hurt your feelings, but it is entirely possible that his qualifications were better than yours, regardless of education and experience.

Honored Contributor

If the man that got the job wasn't really qualified and not reallly a good worker then maybe there could be some suspicion but you said he is a great guy and will do the job just fine.  If you were union and your contract stated that where everything is equal in qualifications then seniority should be used to promote but it appears this is not the case so it would not make you look good if you filed a suit and it also could have an effect on any future job you might wish to apply for.

Trusted Contributor

I do remember the manager mentioning that almost all of the applicants for the associate position are female. Was he saying it in a negative or positive tone? If I had to choose it would be negative because it really seemed to me that he found it regrettable that there were not as many male applicants.
A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Esteemed Contributor

@JBKO wrote:
I do remember the manager mentioning that almost all of the applicants for the associate position are female. Was he saying it in a negative or positive tone? If I had to choose it would be negative because it really seemed to me that he found it regrettable that there were not as many male applicants.

That's just an assumption on your part. He was probably just stating a fact.

Respected Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

I have point blank asked if there are any concerns when it comes to my job performance and I was told no not all--twice.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but this isn't the same as asking, specifically, what the other candidate brought to the table that resulted in his being hired over you.  That's what I would ask if it meant that much to me or bothered me that much.  Best of luck in your decision.

Respected Contributor

One Two more points to consider:  If it's worth anything to you, if your case is weak and you thereby get labeled as a pot-stirrer, your future with the company is as good as null and void the minute you file the complaint.  Also think about any reference you may want/need from them as you seek other employment.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

This is my original post:

Hi everyone. I have been absent for a while since I am busy with work and life and all the rest. As many of you know, I have been looking to leave my job for various reasons the overarching one being that I do not make enough money. I have applied elsewhere, gone on interviews, and even received a job offer I declined because it was part-time. Anyway, a position opened at my company, in my own department and after much thinking and consulting with friends, I decided to apply. Let me preface by saying that they promote in ways that make little to know sense to me at least. Our department is and has been 75-80% female when it comes to the "underlings" which I am a part of. When it comes to supervisory roles, there are currently 4 males, and 2 females. One of these females is leaving, hence the opening. Do you really think that they will have 5 male supervisors and 1 female supervisor if they decide on a male candidate? They are looking to hire internally so I almost certain it will be between me and one of my male coworkers. He is a great guy and will do the job just fine. I have been there longer and like him have great performance evaluations and can do the job. What are your thoughts? Have noticed this in your company or ones you have worked for in the past. TIA

I am really shocked-our team now has 5 male supervisors and 1 female. The associates are 3 males, and 16 females. How is this ok? I know that 3 females and 1 female from our department applied. There is a blatant preference towards males. The male selected is a a good employee, but I have worked there 16 months longer than he and doesn't have a degree from a top-tier university like I do. Before you reply, please be reasonable and consider that I am not feeling particularly good about myself. Smiley Sad

@JBKO

Sorry you didn't get the job, but we can only speculate on the exact criteria required for that job.   

I don't believe that working there 16 months longer is necessarily a strong point, unless there is a Union involved that has agreements about seniority as a major point when considering promotions.

As another said, filing a Sexism complaint could make matters worse, and should be a last resort, IMO.  

My suggestion would be to cool off and wait a little while, and then schedule an appointment with HR or the Decision Maker or whomever the right person is for this discussion.  Explain that you thought you were more qualified, elaborate those points, and in the interest of fine tuning, inquire as to why they think you didn't get the job.   Don't be defensive, and don't blame.   You don't want to imply you might "cause trouble",  just that you want to maximize your chances for the next promotion.

@JBKO, you need to be willing to hear the truth, and take it to heart.   There may be a concern with something you do -- or don't do --- on the job.  Maybe it's your absenteeism rate, too many personal phone calls, blah blah blah.   You get the idea.   

Out of curiousity, have you discussed this with the others who applied for this job?   Any insights from them?  

Regular Contributor

Finding employment is a ****** shoot, and yes sometimes it means exactly what it sounds like. MANY qualified applicants don't get the job. However, it does suck and is frustrating. It could be age,race,sex. However, it is very hard to prove. Plus, do you ACTUALLY want to work for a company like that if you do pursue a claim? If you do get manage to get in there after suing, think about the "cloud" hanging over you. Here in lovely Ohio, it is an"AT WILL"state. Which means basically if you sing off key or something minor/ridiculous, you can be fired. I worked for a company years ago and they hired a new regional. Got along okay. Then word came down that her daughter needed a job.

Plus I value my marriage. Get the picture? I don't blame others for my mistakes. However, when you have a spotless record, been with company for 5 years and things that normally go smoothly are not. When she has access to the office our cabinets our always locked,only 2 people have access, me and you know who. Files either have missing pages or disappear completely. Our computer programs are secured but suddenly mine is being "used/logged into with my credentials," even when I am not there and things get screwy, we have a problem. On top of that, I have a disability. So she tried "terminate me". Rather than argue, it was pointless since Ohio is at will. I was due for surgery anyway. So left for medical reasons, had a disability policy and  reactivated my SS. So I was covered.

My point is that not everybody is going to get hired or STAY hired. Don't give up. I survived a MAJOR illness.Actually had the flesh eating disease that very FEW people survive without amputation. I finally found a good company after being rejected by MANY companies even though I have my real estate and Masters. Don't take it too personally, things happens. GOOD LUCK!