Regular Contributor

Re: I did my taxes yesterday

@Sheila P-Burg   Thank you so much. Why would they still tax someone who is just on social security. I'll never make it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@May5 If you are over 65, single and Social Security is your only income, you will not be taxed and more than likely would not have to file.  This is for filing your Federal return.

I do not know your State requirement for filing taxes, it depends upon the state you live in.

Respected Contributor

Is there an extension available this year for those who don't make the deadline?

Honored Contributor

@May5 wrote:

If your only income is social security, do you still have to file taxes. And if you do, is there a minimum amount that you have to make a year?

@May5 

In some states no, and in some states yes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

One hting i found out.  Is the IRS cashes your check immediately when the evelope os opened.  However, it is not credited to your acct for another few days, lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@May5   The salary info your received is incorrect.  I am single and I don't pay taxes and my income is more than double than those figures.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg   I am not trying to be a smart a__ but those figures are incorrect.  I do not pay taxes and my income is more than double those figures.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We mailed our info to tax preparer on Wednesday (we sold a house last year, we knew we would owe a lot).  Got a call from tax guy that we owed twenty thousand; we were thrilled ( thought it might be three,four times that).  On Monday I'll contact bank to arrange a final pay off on our mortgage (Yea!).

Trusted Contributor

@Katcat1  ......  I take no offense of you questioning my post. I referenced it was from the H & R website. If you believe it is incorrect please do not hesitate to let me and the other members know. If the information is incorrect the poster asking for assistance needs to know.

P.S.   I wish everyone responded when they disagreed with me as nicely as you did. Thank you for being kind.

Esteemed Contributor

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.