Honored Contributor

I couldn't stop laughing at this!

A woman's comment on a man grabbing what he thought was a large black garden hose-

It was a black rat snake in NC

‘The sheer size of it!’ Man reaches for hose, realizes it’s very big snake in NC yard

She said:

"that's what I call a oh hell naw to da naw! naw! naw!"😂

It must be some NC expression the to da? Anyway I can just picture her

saying that.

And I can laugh now because the same thing happened to my son and me when we were looking to rent a house once.

It was a huge black I thought it was some electric cord thing, it started to move-yikes!! I could hardly breathe so scared. I slowly backed away. We said ok thanks and got out of there!

The man who found this 6 foot snake too said he was terrified.They decided to leave the snake as it slithered away because they catch rats etc. Ick. But I'm glad they didn't harm it. Still I'd be scared everytime I saw it.

They are not venomous. They might bite if scared. The one we saw was huge too, so long and they move slowly. What an adventure.

Another memory from "normal" times.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: I couldn't stop laughing at this!

da = the

read it like that

I would have to boil my hand, LOL

Respected Contributor

They are Song Lyrics

Hell naw, to the naw naw naw (hell to the naw)
Hell to the naw, to the naw naw naw

from "Bishop Bullwinkle": My name Bishop Bullwinkle, From the First Church of Nothing but the Truth.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I would not be laughing. Without fail, I'd have to be resuscitated.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay 

That phrase is a stronger way to say , "not just no but hell no". It is often used to show your serious feeling about something.

There also was Bishop Bullwinkle in Florida that made it a you tube sensation with his sermons using that phrase. He was a remarkable man. He passed in 2019 but you can see his videos on you tube.

Each "naw" magnifies the no.

I would need a change of clothes if I saw that snake. I can hear many people saying that.

doxie

edited to correct spelling of Bishop

Honored Contributor

I just find her expression so funny 

and her feeling about finding or touching this snake.

@doxie1 -thanks for that explanation!

When I was in the NE I heard "hell to the no!" a lot. I guess hers is the southern version.

Ok I"m laughing all over again!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay 

We say "hell to the no" as well

Example 1

Someone asks you to go in an irrigation canal to unclog a pipe with an alligator in it. You respond with ,"hell to the no" 

Example 2

Someone asks you to distract an alligator in an irrigation canal while they unclog a pipe.

You reply with, "not just no but hell no!"

Example 3

Someone asks you to put lip gloss on an alligator sitting on her eggs or hatchlings

You respond with, "Hell naw to da naw,naw naw!" ( may have to add a couple more "naws" and you can replace the da with the)

doxie

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

da = the

read it like that

I would have to boil my hand, LOL

Lol! @software - me too or lysol it!

Oh now I get it!

I was thinking it was like toe da cause there's a town in NC called Noda. OH like to the!

I'm enlightened!

And @Bhvbum and @doxie1 ,

now I'll go listen to that song.

You never know what you're going to learn everyday!

I learned who LIzzo was a few months ago after I"m sure most of the world knew. My daughter's friends passed by my church and the young Pastor had put something like "did a DNA test, we're 100% that church!"😀

They were so impressed and said does your mom still go to that church?!

So that's how I found out about Lizzo and love her! 

Honored Contributor

@doxie1 -

"May have to add a couple more"😂 

Respected Contributor

@on the bay 

I might as well!

doxie