Honored Contributor

Re: I burned my formica laminate counter

@catlover, I'd like to see your cat's reaction if it jumps onto the counter and sees the squirrel 😀

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago, my DH did the same thing to my counter top.  I ordered a built in glass cutting board and had it installed in the counter top right where the burn mark was.  It looked great. You cut the laminate and drop in the stainless stell framed cutting board and secure it permanently.

One of my friends liked the idea, so she had one installed into her counter too.

You can buy these cutting boards on line from Vance Industries and many other places.  Check them out,  I highly recommend this method for repair that no one will even notice that you had an oops.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@catlover  Bad news is..........you can't fix a laminate countertop........all Formica or Wilson Art is, is a paper with a plastic film top that has been laminated (bonded) to a wood countertop

Yes Rustoleum makes a countertop paint............the result isn't as good as the photo of  it on the box. and the kit is kinda costly............best thing is any Home Depot or Lowes, sells laminate countertops in a few color choices (most times only 4) out of their store for a very reasonable price............just replace it.........................raven

Your right they can't "fix" what is damaged but can very easily juat cut out the damaged piece and replace it with the same if they still make the pattern. I had it done so I know itr is possible.We can barely see where they glued the seam, and you would not see it if you were not looking for it.

@151949  sure you can as long as that new seam is not going to be anywhere near a water source, ie. sink............even then you still are going to have a seam sitting in the middle of your countertop.......not an attractive look..........so you just end up swappin out one bad look for another.....................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

I forgot to mention-his tail goes down the side of the counter....looks really cute!

My cats reaction would be very funny I'm sure.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@catlover  Bad news is..........you can't fix a laminate countertop........all Formica or Wilson Art is, is a paper with a plastic film top that has been laminated (bonded) to a wood countertop

Yes Rustoleum makes a countertop paint............the result isn't as good as the photo of  it on the box. and the kit is kinda costly............best thing is any Home Depot or Lowes, sells laminate countertops in a few color choices (most times only 4) out of their store for a very reasonable price............just replace it.........................raven

Your right they can't "fix" what is damaged but can very easily juat cut out the damaged piece and replace it with the same if they still make the pattern. I had it done so I know itr is possible.We can barely see where they glued the seam, and you would not see it if you were not looking for it.

@151949  sure you can as long as that new seam is not going to be anywhere near a water source, ie. sink............even then you still are going to have a seam sitting in the middle of your countertop.......not an attractive look..........so you just end up swappin out one bad look for another.....................................raven

As I stated - it is barely visible and then only if you look for it.They did a great job.I certainly did not swap a bad job for another .If it wasn't acceptable I would not have signed off on it.

Honored Contributor

Have you tried a Magic Eraser?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

As I stated - it is barely visible and then only if you look for it.They did a great job.I certainly did not swap a bad job for another .If it wasn't acceptable I would not have signed off on it.

but you CAN see it...............where there wasn't a seam before now you have one or two depending on where you had to patch it...........a patch job is a patch job, even if you sign off on it.................................raven

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

but you CAN see it...............where there wasn't a seam before now you have one or two depending on where you had to patch it...........a patch job is a patch job, even if you sign off on it.................................raven

So what?

Why do you care so much?

It's HER countertop, not yours.

If she is happy with it, that's all the matters, right?

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

So what?

Why do you care so much?

could ask you the same.............but I won't...........cause I don't care              : ).............................................raven

Esteemed Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

So what?

Why do you care so much?

could ask you the same.............but I won't...........cause I don't care              : ).............................................raven

Sure you don't care.

Mmmm-hmmmm.

*wink*