Honored Contributor

Re: I burned my formica laminate counter

One of my sisters damaged a portion of her countertop and got a carpenter to install a small, inlaid cutting board in the spot instead of replacing the entire counter.    Your homeowner's insurance might be helpful, so I'd check that out, too.   I'm sorry this happened to you, @catlover.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@catlover  I would just buy a slightly bigger around candle and leave it there permanently!  Quick fix.

Respected Contributor

Remember if you maKe a claim (and it's not a huge thing), it will still "count against you."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I actually purchased laminate for a company I used to work for.

Before any decisions can be made, you need to identify your pattern, is it actually Formica brand or possibly another manufacturer such as Wilsonart.  That needs to be done first.   The term Formica is loosely used just like Kleenex and it may not be that specific brand. 

High pressure laminate is actually glued to particleboard and is very difficult yet impossible to remove just the piece of laminate.  I would assume a countertop guy would actually cut a hole out of the counter and attempt to fill the gap.  You will see where the hole was cut and filled in.  There is no way to avoid that.   You will also see the difference of the new vs the old.

Sorry to say, you'll need to spend the money on a replacement, you can also have someone come in and spray an entirely new countertop on the laminate (I've seen that done and it turns out incredibly good and the wear is excellent).  There are video's that shows you how to do it yourself but this is a project you would not want to attempt. 

There isn't any economical solution to fix this, unfortunately accidents happen.

Please do not attempt to fix yourself, this is one project that is best left to the professionals.

I briefly looked at the Formica and Wilsonart website searching for something similar to your surface and didn't see anything that would considered to be a match, given that, there's nothing you can do for an identical patch.  Patterns, solids and woodgrains are changed quite often, some stay for years but the most of them are discontinued and are not manufactured just due to lack of sales or trends.

So sorry, just not an easy fix.

Respected Contributor

@catlover  Bad news is..........you can't fix a laminate countertop........all Formica or Wilson Art is, is a paper with a plastic film top that has been laminated (bonded) to a wood countertop

Yes Rustoleum makes a countertop paint............the result isn't as good as the photo of  it on the box. and the kit is kinda costly............best thing is any Home Depot or Lowes, sells laminate countertops in a few color choices (most times only 4) out of their store for a very reasonable price............just replace it.........................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Valued Contributor

As another poster suggested, I would just buy another 3 wick candle and put it on a small plate the size of the burn mark. Since you had a candle there before, it must be in a place where the candle looks ok. I sure wouldn't redo the counter tops. I'd be surprised if your home insurance would cover this and of course I don't know what deductible you have.

Many years ago I burned a hole in the bedroom dresser due to a lit cigarette falling out of an ashtray. I just covered it with a tray where I  put my perfume bottles. The dresser was well over $ 1000.00 45 yrs ago and since then I don't even worry about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

I agree with some other posts:

1. Replace all the counters (the laminate is probably older, right?). There are companies that even fit granite over old laminate. 

2. Turn that area into into a food prep spot with a section of butcher block.

3. Or, if you bake often or if the damaged area is near an oven or cooktop, replace the damaged section with marble or other stone, both for working dough or for setting down warm pots, cookie sheets, etc.

4. A final idea if plumbing lines are close would be to install a bar sink or prep sink in that spot if that suits your kitchen's layout and your needs.

You have the potential here to make a nice little kitchen improvement!

@libbyannE, @catlover those apply over countertops are not granite, FYI.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

We used the company Granite Transformation to put granite on our old Corian countertops.  Love it.   Our friends used them as well as my mom.

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

1. Replace all the counters (the laminate is probably older, right?). There are companies that even fit granite over old laminate. 

3. Or, if you bake often or if the damaged area is near an oven or cooktop, replace the damaged section with marble or other stone, both for working dough or for setting down warm pots, cookie sheets, etc.

4. A final idea if plumbing lines are close would be to install a bar sink or prep sink in that spot if that suits your kitchen's layout and your needs.

@itiswhatitis you are 100% correct they aren't, it's an acrylic like Corian............and tend to crack

Realistically

1.  see above

2.  butcher block is much thicker then a laminate countertop, you'll end up with a lip on each side, not too attractive.

3.  placing stone there...........stone is a straight glue down if it's 3cm stone, Marple likes to grab stains and is affected by thermal shock as are ALL other stones, putting anything hot on it may result in cracking

4.  remember you not only have to have water lines BUT you really have to have a waste line............the water has to go someplace.........all of that would cost more then just replacing the damaged laminate countertop..........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@itiswhatitis

wrong. They do a 1/4" granite overlay. I don't like granite (we have Quartz) but I have seen a kitchen with real granite overlays.