Honored Contributor

Re: I burned my formica laminate counter

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@catlover  Bad news is..........you can't fix a laminate countertop........all Formica or Wilson Art is, is a paper with a plastic film top that has been laminated (bonded) to a wood countertop

Yes Rustoleum makes a countertop paint............the result isn't as good as the photo of  it on the box. and the kit is kinda costly............best thing is any Home Depot or Lowes, sells laminate countertops in a few color choices (most times only 4) out of their store for a very reasonable price............just replace it.........................raven

Your right they can't "fix" what is damaged but can very easily juat cut out the damaged piece and replace it with the same if they still make the pattern. I had it done so I know itr is possible.We can barely see where they glued the seam, and you would not see it if you were not looking for it.

@151949  sure you can as long as that new seam is not going to be anywhere near a water source, ie. sink............even then you still are going to have a seam sitting in the middle of your countertop.......not an attractive look..........so you just end up swappin out one bad look for another.....................................raven

As I stated - it is barely visible and then only if you look for it.They did a great job.I certainly did not swap a bad job for another .If it wasn't acceptable I would not have signed off on it.

but you CAN see it...............where there wasn't a seam before now you have one or two depending on where you had to patch it...........a patch job is a patch job, even if you sign off on it.................................raven

SMH 

Respected Contributor

@catlover I feel your pain. Woman SadI damaged a solid oak wood dining table when the candle that I had placed and lit on the top of a vinyl tablecloth somehow caught on fire. I had turned my back for only a few seconds when the approximately 5 inch wide 3 wick candle in glass somehow cuaght the tablecloth on fire. The only time I'll use a real candle now is if it is on a stand, and I am literally sitting there watching it. I still have the table but I must always cover it with a tablecloth.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@catlover  Bad news is..........you can't fix a laminate countertop........all Formica or Wilson Art is, is a paper with a plastic film top that has been laminated (bonded) to a wood countertop

Yes Rustoleum makes a countertop paint............the result isn't as good as the photo of  it on the box. and the kit is kinda costly............best thing is any Home Depot or Lowes, sells laminate countertops in a few color choices (most times only 4) out of their store for a very reasonable price............just replace it.........................raven

Your right they can't "fix" what is damaged but can very easily juat cut out the damaged piece and replace it with the same if they still make the pattern. I had it done so I know itr is possible.We can barely see where they glued the seam, and you would not see it if you were not looking for it.

@151949  sure you can as long as that new seam is not going to be anywhere near a water source, ie. sink............even then you still are going to have a seam sitting in the middle of your countertop.......not an attractive look..........so you just end up swappin out one bad look for another.....................................raven

As I stated - it is barely visible and then only if you look for it.They did a great job.I certainly did not swap a bad job for another .If it wasn't acceptable I would not have signed off on it.

but you CAN see it...............where there wasn't a seam before now you have one or two depending on where you had to patch it...........a patch job is a patch job, even if you sign off on it.................................raven

So what?

Why do you care so much?

It's HER countertop, not yours.

If she is happy with it, that's all the matters, right?

Because she is probably bored so she wants to start a fight. Don't take the bait. 

Of course there are seams in the formica anyway - it was certainly not manufactured to perfectly fit the size and shape of my counter. The wood was cut and the laminate product was glued to it and probably heat sealed or something. The whole arguement is just stupid.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

So what?

Why do you care so much?

It's HER countertop, not yours.

If she is happy with it, that's all the matters, right?

Because she is probably bored so she wants to start a fight. Don't take the bait. 

Of course there are seams in the formica anyway - it was certainly not manufactured to perfectly fit the size and shape of my counter. The wood was cut and the laminate product was glued to it and probably heat sealed or something. The whole arguement is just stupid.

Well, she DOES like for people to think that she knows everything about everything, and is an expert in everything.

(Insert eye roll).

You know what I have found?

Those who insist that they are "experts", often know the least.

Respected Contributor

Cat lover, how did you do the squirrel? That is so clever!  I love him.

Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis

Hi. I was referring to the actual 1/4" granite, not the faux stuff! I am not even recommending it but wanted to throw out a few ideas to help someone who asked for help. Again, I was talking about the actual granite. bye now. I

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link to an external retail site

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE

thank you Libby

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@libbyannE wrote:

@itiswhatitis

Hi. I was referring to the actual 1/4" granite, not the faux stuff! I am not even recommending it but wanted to throw out a few ideas to help someone who asked for help. Again, I was talking about the actual granite. bye now. I

@libbyannE

Face-off: Solid Granite vs. Granite Overlay

In the world of granite countertops, a new option is becoming available and gaining popularity. Granite overlays are ¼" thick slabs of granite that are placed on top of your existing countertops, eliminating the need to completely remove pre-existing countertops. While this may save some time and money in the remodel process, doubts have been raised recently over the quality, value, and endurance of granite overlays

First off, granite overlays are generally not made from pure granite. This is what differentiates them from thin granite slabs. Overlays are often composites of granite, quartz, and stone fragments, bound together with a resin to give them the appearance of natural stone. This is a cheaper option, and subsequently reduces the overall value of your countertops, as compared to natural granite

At only ¼" thick, granite overlays lack the structural soundness of solid granite slabs, which are more often 1½" thick. This difference in thickness is most noticeable around the kitchen sink, if you mount your sink underneath the countertops. This difference has also led some to speculate that overlays will not be as durable over time. However, the popularity of granite overlays has not existed long enough to get an accurate estimate of how long they will last.

The biggest selling point for those looking to purchase stone overlays for their counters is the price. Stone overlay is typically less expensive than solid granite (especially compared to some of the more premium styles of granite). The labor costs of installation are also cut down because no demolition is needed, and a lot of people do their overlay installation themselves. Taking the DIY approach saves money, but you may end up with more seams than you want.

I look at it like this:

8 oz glass of water

add tea bag

(it's no longer water but tea)

*Call Tyrone*