Honored Contributor

I burned my formica laminate counter

[ Edited ]

I have a nice round area the size of a 3 wick candle on my counter thanks to re-lighting a candle that was done-it cracked and split into 2 with the base unattached................my dumb mistake-anyway-now my counter top looks awful and I'm not sure what to do

20161125_203136.jpg

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Respected Contributor

Re: I burned my formica laminate counter

Depending on where it is, put a nice wood block cutting board over it.  

Or use it as an excuse for new countertops.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Contact your home insurance

Respected Contributor

I agree with the cutting board suggestion for a quick fix.

Rustoleum makes a product for painting/refinishing a countertop.  One of the options looks very much like your current countertop.  My dil did it in her kitchen and it came out beautifully and she said it wasn't difficult to do at all.  It's available at any of the big box home improvement stores.

Esteemed Contributor

Either cover it or get new countertops. So sorry!

Trusted Contributor

@catlover,

I am so sorry this happened to your countertop. Perhaps you could try to match the palate & touch it up with paint or use a faux granite spray on it so the defect is not as noticeable. Rustoleum makes a good product. I would go this route first befoe replacing the formica.  Don't be too hard on yourself because this type of thing can (and has) happened to many of us.

dee

Esteemed Contributor

If it's fairly new you might be able to get the length repaired. If they're older, new countertops. At least w/formica they're not as expensive as stone.

I did this once, too. Put a hot fry pan on the countertop. Nice 10" circular burn.

Honored Contributor

@catlover, Yikes!  Is it in a place where you can have something else installed....like marble or something like that for rolling out pastry or butcher block?  So sorry this happened, I am sure you are sick about it!

Respected Contributor

I agree with some other posts:

1. Replace all the counters (the laminate is probably older, right?). There are companies that even fit granite over old laminate. 

2. Turn that area into into a food prep spot with a section of butcher block.

3. Or, if you bake often or if the damaged area is near an oven or cooktop, replace the damaged section with marble or other stone, both for working dough or for setting down warm pots, cookie sheets, etc.

4. A final idea if plumbing lines are close would be to install a bar sink or prep sink in that spot if that suits your kitchen's layout and your needs.

You have the potential here to make a nice little kitchen improvement!

Esteemed Contributor

@catlover, (lov your avatar !)

This is patched similar to the way you patch a hole in drywall.

Cut a square of new formica large enough to cover the blemish. Set the new square over the blemish, and trace the new patch square. Follow trace lines to cut out formica square on countertop, removing the blemish. Apply this glop (just ask at hardware store) that disolves the adhesive in the bare spot on the countertop. Sand down flat. Clean bare, sanded space. Apply new adhesive and glue in your new patch square.

Alternatively, you can cut out the old blemished formica and replace it with a contrasting square tile suitable for setting down hot cookware.

Either way, this process is an expensive messy pain, the patch will always catch your eye, and you'll end up setting a cutting board over it anyhow. So find a really nice cutting board, one you enjoy seeing out on your countertop.