Honored Contributor

Re: I bet buffet restaurants

@jpie wrote:

Cruise ships are going to need to come up with a very different system to feed their guests.  Dinner does have reserved seating that is booked in advance, but this will change breakfast, lunch, and snacks.

@jpie   No offense, but a cruise ship is the LAST place I have any desire to be. Not one ship has managed to keep passengers and/or crew safe. They got off the ship in huge numbers and went straight to hospitals. There's no way to stay safe in close quarters w/ joint activities, shared meals, close proximity at pools, bars or shows on board. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm in Tampa Bay, and Florida runs on buffet restaurants. Seniors and families with kids love them. Even Disney and all theme parks are full of them. Most are not reopening in my area. This may be a blessing in disguise because many of them were dirty to begin with. Very difficult to maintain a sanitary buffet line with kids, coughing, sneezing, touching. Tables and chairs were often sticky.  Not the greatest choice for eating out even minus COVID. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@jpie wrote:

Cruise ships are going to need to come up with a very different system to feed their guests.  Dinner does have reserved seating that is booked in advance, but this will change breakfast, lunch, and snacks.

@jpie   No offense, but a cruise ship is the LAST place I have any desire to be. Not one ship has managed to keep passengers and/or crew safe. They got off the ship in huge numbers and went straight to hospitals. There's no way to stay safe in close quarters w/ joint activities, shared meals, close proximity at pools, bars or shows on board. 

_______

I am not offended at all. I have been on three cruises and have no desire to do any cruise in the near future. One of my best friends is at the diamond level with Royal Caribbean and plans 3-4 cruises per year. She is constantly pestering me to go along with her and I tell her no thank you. 

I just posted this response because when the topic of buffets was discussed, cruise ships popped into my memory bank. I have never been fond of buffets for many reasons!

It would have been a nightmare to have to shelter in place during this pandemic on a cruise ship. 

Honored Contributor

I bet the OP is right.  I for one will not miss them.  I like to be served and I don't overeat.  I am curious to see how Vegas and cruise lines handle this.  Buffets were big business for both.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

My favorite cafeteria was Horn and Hardet (sp?) automat on Times Square.  I wonder if that concept couldn't be tweaked and brought back?

@patbz  OMG!  My dad used to take me there when I was a little girl, it was so futuristic to me.   I thought it was delightfully like the Jetsons!  I loved it.  Yes, I wish they would bring those back.  

Honored Contributor

@jpie wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@jpie wrote:

_______

I am not offended at all. I have been on three cruises and have no desire to do any cruise in the near future. One of my best friends is at the diamond level with Royal Caribbean and plans 3-4 cruises per year. She is constantly pestering me to go along with her and I tell her no thank you. 

I just posted this response because when the topic of buffets was discussed, cruise ships popped into my memory bank. I have never been fond of buffets for many reasons!

It would have been a nightmare to have to shelter in place during this pandemic on a cruise ship. 

@jpie   I think I would have been on a lifeboat headed for shore.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@patbz wrote:

My favorite cafeteria was Horn and Hardet (sp?) automat on Times Square.  I wonder if that concept couldn't be tweaked and brought back?

@patbz  OMG!  My dad used to take me there when I was a little girl, it was so futuristic to me.   I thought it was delightfully like the Jetsons!  I loved it.  Yes, I wish they would bring those back.  

@Caaareful Shopper   I'd love to see it in operation up close and personal. 

Honored Contributor

They could do all you can eat which would be fairly easy to do with not having to keep buffets stocked.  It would take longer to get what you want and with less seating they might have to set time limits on how long you could stay.

Honored Contributor

@Pook   I don't think the issue is keeping buffets refilled. The concern is multiple people going down the line handling the same utensils, staying 6 feet apart (holding up the line), wearing masks, etc. All You Can eat buffets would be a nightmare with folks going up for seconds after already having eaten their "finger licking good chicken". 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Shanus   That is why I stated that all you can eat with servers bringing what you want would not be hard to do and actually be less time for worlkers not to have to constantly keep checking and refilling buffets.  Never meant that to be an issue to having all you can eat!!!