Honored Contributor

Re: I am so tired of throwing away food...

for those who enjoy the campari tomatoes, i also highly recommend the FLAVOR BOMBS which are smaller and on the vine.....more like a cherry tomato......also CHERUBS.

cherry tomato on vine.jpgcherubs.png

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Add seasonings?

Respected Contributor

I have trouble finding Cantalope , Honeydew and Watermellon. They look ripe and  then tasteless.  Once and awhile good. The Honey dew I just purchased has no flavor but I had luck  a month ago. Apples are also thick skinned and flat, Braburn. It is difficult to find good peaches even in season. Rare, except maybe in Georgia.  The berries haven't been too bad. Cherries are better than a few weeks ago. Pears are usually good.

Honored Contributor

Believe it or not, my Dad complained of this years and years ago.... he blamed it on picking the veg/fruit before it was truly ripe and letting the product ripen in the truck on the way to market.  Only until we grow our own will we truly taste how wonderful fruits and veggies are supposed to be...  

I've personally had problems with strawberries this year.  They look gorgeous, just right but they can be as hard as apples and/or have no flavor.

We lived in the very rich black earth of Pasadena, Ca and we had grapefruit and peach trees and as a little girl I remember climbing them to get the ripe fruit.  Our neighbors had apricots and avocados, and we swapped often!  Boy do I remember those summer days!  I might have to plant a peach tree here.... and I think I'm going to go for tomatoes too!!! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Like others have suggested, we've found that frozen veggies have more flavor than canned or fresh these days.   I normally buy summer veggies and fruit at Farmers' Markets or fruit stands around town -- because of Covid-19, these are hard to find.   I cook some of my veggies in olive oil rather than water, or flavor with EVOO after cooking.  I sure use more seasonings than I used to!  

Hubby and I noticed a long time ago that some foods don't taste like they used to (especially pizza!).   We assume our tastebuds are changing as we get older.  But I certainly wouldn't throw any food away unless it was spoiled.  

Olive oil is amazing.  I sautee mushrooms in olive oil and garlic.  I season all veggies.  I don't like any food plain.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Haven't been back here in awhile...

1.  Flowers: been over 20 yrs. since working at cousins florist and he explained most roses came from S. America where they were bred to have LARGE, long-lasting, durable blooms.  Scent was left by the wayside.  Imagine it's the same with other cut flowers by now.

2.  Fruits:  Same thing.  Bred to be durable, easy to ship, but "pretty", and usually tasteless. (shrug)  So tomatoes, berries, etc., also lose something in the process.

3.  Florida:  Looked so forward to moving here 15 yrs. ago as a farmer's daughter.  Well, my small town has several farm stands we've tried & gave up as they seemed to take Publix's cast-offs.  Meat?  Nearest butcher is Quality Discount Meats (code for Quality Discount Chicken Feet).  Back to the grocery stores.

Bottom line, it's sooo hard to tell anymore.  What looks wonderful is probably bred for "looks", not taste.

Tried growing my own in our screened SW facing lanai and wasn't all that successful.  Things I grew successfully in SE MI.  I mean, they couldn't help but grow. but outside of cucumbers, was dissappointed in the tomatoes & green peppers taste. Maybe the plants are so genetically modified now?  I dunno. 

But I'd give 5 yrs. off my life for some of mom's homegrown strawberries...

Denise
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut 

This is not new.  I've been complaining about tasteless food long before anyone had heard of Wuhan.    Apparently, I'm not the only one judging by the number of similar replies here.

And I'll add to another poster's comments here about melons.  I've had some luck with honeydew melons but not cantelopes or watermelons.  Hard and tasteless.

And the last couple of Cherubs I bought were awful.  I do agree that campari and kumato tomatoes are usually decent and better than most.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in Texas, so, we have lots of fresh produce available at farmer's markets. However, I purchased a quart sized  bag of shelled fresh purple hull peas for $8.00 this week. I noticed while they were cooking that they had a rather unpleasant odor to them. All I can think of is that they must have been already spoiled at the time I bought them. They were not edible and that was a waste of my time and money.

Also, even farmer's market (supposedly vine ripened tomatoes) just don't have that real acidic taste they did years ago. They are probably picked green and ripened in a warehouse. Oh, how I miss the amazing fresh from the garden meals my grandmother used to make. Those were the good ole days!Woman LOL

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

for those who enjoy the campari tomatoes, i also highly recommend the FLAVOR BOMBS which are smaller and on the vine.....more like a cherry tomato......also CHERUBS.

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45 

These tomatoes are delicious sauted in olive oil with some oregano and basil seasoning! Sometimes I throw in some fresh asparagus with it. YUM!

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 I really like the campari tomatoes, which usually have the most flavor in my markets where I shop.  But they have tough little hides, so they make for a flavorful pasta sauce that is a little skin-intensive.  Still my favorites right now for flavor.  In FL one can't go by good looks.  A local tomato is going to be pale and flavorless inside.  The campari are also great in salads, especially Caprese salads with a little aged balsamic--yum!