Honored Contributor

Re: I am so tired of throwing away food...

[ Edited ]

I gave up trying to select the "best" in my produce department.  Now, I talk to the dept mgr and ask THEM "What's the best fruit this week?"  and go with their suggestions. 

If I want a specific fruit, such as Fuji apples, I ask how they are, and if any other version is better.   Many times they whip out their little paring knife, cut a piece ......    and ask me what I think.  

Whenever possible, I ask the person who tasted the fruit before I came into the store.   This works well for me.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

Good suggestion .  Thank you.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some fruit has been good, some has been bad. Just like most years here. Can never really tell just by looking about blueberries or blackberries -- some are wonderfully sweet, some not so much. Other berries have been fairly good. Good watermelon so far, not so much for the cantaloupe. Grapes generally good. Stone fruits almost always need ripening at home. It all depends on where the fruit originated, how ripe it was when picked, how long it has been sitting, etc. (We don't throw anything away, though.)

Honored Contributor

@Kmac444 wrote:

Loss of taste and smell is a sign of cornonavirus, whether you feel sick or not.

@Kmac444 And old age!  Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

Yet again, I'm throwing away food I just bought this morning.  A 32 oz bag of green beans from Whole Foods.  I cooked them like I always do and they have hardly any taste at all and what taste they do have isn't a green bean taste.

I buy fruit that has no taste and throw it away.  On and on.   Over and over.   I thought the answer was to buy only what is local and in season but I've tried that too with similar results.

The Ranier cherries are decent, barely.   

Am I the only one???

No, you are not the only one.  I bought a bag of green beans from Aldi earlier this spring and likewise had to throw them out after snapping them and cooking them for 4 hours.  They smelled OK cooking but the taste was horrible.   Usually I am happy with Aldi, especially the meat and very fresh milk, but these green beans were awful.  Not your imagination at all!

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

It's not just you!  I picked up my grocery order today...the tomatoes are nearly tasteless.  Pseudo Tomatoes.

@alicedee Ripen like the farmers did in a paper bag a few days.

Or, sit in a sunny window for a day or so.  

Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

It's not just you!  I picked up my grocery order today...the tomatoes are nearly tasteless.  Pseudo Tomatoes.

Tomatoes have been tasteless for years. I stopped buying a long time ago.

Respected Contributor

Stop being so wasteful throwing food away. There are people that would love something to eat. It is probably your taste buds. After surgery on my ear I lost my taste for a year. If I could not see it I would not have known what I was eating but I did not throw it out.

Esteemed Contributor

Not here, I am especially fond of oranges this year. I have been enjoying mesa oranges & blood oranges.  Also asparagus & tomaties.

Honored Contributor

There are apps now that can help you plan out recipies and grocery lists that minimize food waste, so that's an option to help stop throwing away food. As to taste, now I mean this delicately, but as we age, some of our tastebuds die off and the sense of taste does dull a bit.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr