Honored Contributor

Re: I am so tired of throwing away food...

@Bridgegal wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

Yet again, I'm throwing away food I just bought this morning.  A 32 oz bag of green beans from Whole Foods.  I cooked them like I always do and they have hardly any taste at all and what taste they do have isn't a green bean taste.

I buy fruit that has no taste and throw it away.  On and on.   Over and over.   I thought the answer was to buy only what is local and in season but I've tried that too with similar results.

The Ranier cherries are decent, barely.   

Am I the only one???

I would try seasoning food before throwing the food away.  

The fruit maybe add sugar.  I can't understand just throwing food away.  Go on Youtube they answers for everything.  Maybe you can find a good recipe for green beans.

Yes, I do both of those.  But really food should taste like food.   I am not a spring chicken and I remember what green beans used to taste like.   I know what strawberries and other fruits used to taste like.  That is my point.  Food doesn't taste like food anymore, or at least most of it.   Seasoning should bring out the flavor.  I want my beans to taste like beans, not like seasonings.   

Have you tried frozen?

Honored Contributor

I gave up on supermarket fruit a long time ago; it was a waste of money.  The only fruit I buy is grown locally, from farm markets and, yes, sometimes even supermarkets - they like to tout when something's "locally-grown,"

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal , you may be interested in why a lot of our food has lost its flavor. A few years ago I read the book "The Doritoes Effect " by Mark Schatzker that details the causes of flavorless food. It is a fascinating read.

Honored Contributor

Wow who on earth throws away food? Maybe its my age but I NEVER throw away food! I wasn't brought up that way! But I don't buy my food from grocery stores. I live rural and buy my food from Amish stores and from local farms. Nothing I eat is tasteless. I support my locals and love what I eat. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Like others have suggested, we've found that frozen veggies have more flavor than canned or fresh these days.   I normally buy summer veggies and fruit at Farmers' Markets or fruit stands around town -- because of Covid-19, these are hard to find.   I cook some of my veggies in olive oil rather than water, or flavor with EVOO after cooking.  I sure use more seasonings than I used to!  

Hubby and I noticed a long time ago that some foods don't taste like they used to (especially pizza!).   We assume our tastebuds are changing as we get older.  But I certainly wouldn't throw any food away unless it was spoiled.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@ID2 That is great that you do and supporting local farms is important, however I will say that  food in Amish stores in my area is VERY expensive.  Good quality,  but expensive.

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal, I find that green beans go off long before they look "offish."

They are grown within miles of my town, but produce in Florida does not have the taste of veg. that need a cold snap once in a while.  I prefer tomatoes from out of state for that reason.  I grew my own tomatoes one summer, an heirloom variety, and they looked beautiful--but had no flavor at all.  They also seemed to me to grow too fast, way faster than in the northeast.

Honored Contributor

A big part of the problem is that it is more difficult to ship in a timely way now because of the needs of items for the virus issue.  So ALL shipping is slower, therefore veggies and fruits are shipped greener to the stores, and arrive unripe but older than before. Shipping is a HUGE problem.

A huge part of this issue is that we are getting older and as you get older your taste buds go toward sweets. Older people constantly complain about nothing tasting the same.  Except for sweets.  I've been told that a lot by people working in care facilities.

Some also is you are at home with nothing to do and you notice what you are eating more (and you cook more and eat more veggies probably that if you are out and about and busy).  Also restaurants load up with salt, flavor enhancers, butters, fats, etc. and of course "healthy" food at home doesn't taste as good.

And I only throw away food that is spoiled or tastes bad.  Other wise, I'd feel guilty so I eat it.  If it doesn't have a lot of flavor, hey, just eat it. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't read entire thread - so disregard if this is a repeat.

-----------------------------

From National Institute on Aging website:'

Did you know that your sense of smell and taste are connected? As you get older, these senses can change, and, like Sally, you may find that certain foods aren’t as flavorful as they used to be. Changes in smell or taste can also be a sign of a larger problem.

nia dot nih dot gov / health/smell-and-taste

-----------------------------------

I've always preferred my food to be highly seasoned ... I use a lot of herbs and spices.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We're still happier with fresh veggies than with frozen, with the exception of peas, corn, and if absolutely necessary, the thin green beans.

For some time now, I have noticed that some of the packaged veggies can be better than the loose. I love the Earth Exotic Haricot Verts (thin green beans) and I also prefer packaged sugar snap peas and snowpeas over the quality of fresh that I see too often.

A few have mentioned packaged Compari Tomatoes, They are very good and second on my list. The first are the packaged Kumoto tomatoes. I could just eat them out of my hand. Some supermarkets carry them, as does Trader Joe's. They are fabulous.

We have good luck here with Driscoll's strawberries and raspberries. Most of their produce comes from here in California, so that might make a difference. But the best berries are at local farmer's markets. Harry's strawberries are to die for but cost is very high.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland