Honored Contributor

Re: I am so tired of throwing away food...

Strawberries and blueberries for me, so tired of buying these with no taste, bad spots, the strawberries especially. I buy both every week b/c DH eats them with yogurt every morning. These things are pricey too. I try to buy organic but those aren't any better it seems.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

Yet again, I'm throwing away food I just bought this morning.  A 32 oz bag of green beans from Whole Foods.  I cooked them like I always do and they have hardly any taste at all and what taste they do have isn't a green bean taste.

I buy fruit that has no taste and throw it away.  On and on.   Over and over.   I thought the answer was to buy only what is local and in season but I've tried that too with similar results.

The Ranier cherries are decent, barely.   

Am I the only one???

Some of the fruit at Costco is tasteless. I think they pick the stuff when it's green . I've had apricots and peaches that taste like cardboard ... Will have to wait for the next farmers market

I stopped buying any produce at Costco. I was disappointed too many times.

I am thrilled with the produce from Sam's Club. Yesterday I made a big fruit salad. I used strawberries from Sam's. They were so sweet and tasty. I was eating them as soon as I was cutting them. I honestly think they were better than the strawberries I used to pick.

And it is not peach season yet. But when it is Oh My! Just walking by the peach display, you can smell them. They are so good and juicy.

And the cherries are exceptional. My husband bought cherries at the grocery store. What a disappointment.  After eating the cherries from Sam's and then eating the small tasteless cherries from the grocery. What a contrast.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @sunshine45 about the Campari tomatoes.  The best!

Honored Contributor

Maybe because I'm still going to the market myself to pick out my groceries, I have not had much waste at all. 

I dread the day I have to turn my food shopping over to someone else maybe even more than I dread the day I'll have to shop for clothes online.

Contributor

Loss of taste and smell is a sign of cornonavirus, whether you feel sick or not.

Honored Contributor

@Kmac444 wrote:

Loss of taste and smell is a sign of cornonavirus, whether you feel sick or not.

@Kmac444   If it comes on suddenly with other symptoms but we are talking about the loss of taste in produce that has been going on for a long time now.

I'm pretty sure my not liking my strawberries is not COVID-19 related.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal wrote:

Yet again, I'm throwing away food I just bought this morning.  A 32 oz bag of green beans from Whole Foods.  I cooked them like I always do and they have hardly any taste at all and what taste they do have isn't a green bean taste.

I buy fruit that has no taste and throw it away.  On and on.   Over and over.   I thought the answer was to buy only what is local and in season but I've tried that too with similar results.

Am I the only one???

I would try seasoning food before throwing the food away.  

The fruit maybe add sugar.  I can't understand just throwing food away.  Go on Youtube they have answers for everything.  Maybe you can find a good recipe for green beans.

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 

Thank you Cakers.  I was about to type the same thing.   Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Name of farm in Pa is Red Truck Farm....a small off the beaten road but oh so special.  

Respected Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

Am I the only one???

I would try seasoning food before throwing the food away.  

The fruit maybe add sugar.  I can't understand just throwing food away.  Go on Youtube they answers for everything.  Maybe you can find a good recipe for green beans.

Yes, I do both of those.  But really food should taste like food.   I am not a spring chicken and I remember what green beans used to taste like.   I know what strawberries and other fruits used to taste like.  That is my point.  Food doesn't taste like food anymore, or at least most of it.   Seasoning should bring out the flavor.  I want my beans to taste like beans, not like seasonings.