Honored Contributor

Re: I am so tired of throwing away food...

@GenXmuse wrote:

Talk about first world problems. 

Wasting food when there are shortages, is a problem.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Everything is produced so fast now to keep up with the population that it is affecting the quality of food-be it meat, veggies, fruit.

That is accounting in part for our tasteless table.  Plus we deplete minerals and other nutrients that make a veggie a veggie.

Don't even think about finding good tomatoes anymore.  Even the more costly compari tomatoes are horrid.

Somebody mentioned flowers-I have fresh flowers in the house all the time and it's true-the scent doesn't fill the air anymore.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Have not experienced tasteless produce. Considering current prices, I'd hate to waste food. I did notice that strawberries are big and they have a hollow center, but they tasted like they should.

Honored Contributor

I never buy tomatoes, strawberries or peaches at a grocery store.  I get them later in the summer at the Farmer's Market.

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Talk about first world problems. 

Very true.

Esteemed Contributor

The only time I can think of that I've had something with no taste is when I have got tomatoes that weren't ripe enough. 

I buy many different varieties of fruit but we feel like they have the same taste they always did.

I will say I got some beef from a local butcher and it tastes like it did when I did was a kid. 

Respected Contributor

@Marp 

I'll do that.   I have blood work on the horizon and will ask her to add a B12 check.    Good idea.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree!   I come from the after the war generation, where it was sin to waste food.  Also, we didn't have all this snack food, prepared food or take out like they do today.  When we came to the table to eat, food flew.  We ate everything.  If we didn't like it, we could sit there until we ate it.  

that said, I am not a waster.  My husband and I usually have a theory....if it smells okay, it is good to eat, lol  but I Have had to toss food away, made me upset to do so.  It just tasted like crud,  horrible.  I have gotten green beans that were so tough you couldn't chew them. Food that had no flavor, none.  It is even hard to make chicken soup, as the chicken doesn't make flavorful broth like it used to.  Mainly we have trouble with produce, and I buy organic mainly!  There is no flavor.  We have had to toss  watermelons this week.  They were hard, and had this no smell, no flavor slimy texture to them.  we hate growing food out...but we are tired of letting food sit in fridge until it rots just so we feel better about throwing it out. Lol!

we get bagged lettuce, salad greens that go bad 2 days after we buy them...the date is useless.

i think part of the problem is the farming.  They pick food too green to get to market and on shelf looking good. Carrots, lettuce, all fruit has little flavor. .  When we get  a piece of fruit that tastes good, we are in shock and ranting about how good it tastes like it is miracle happening, lol  I just emptied a load  of food from fridge that we just couldn't eat.

eat.  as I said, we are not picky eaters either.  It is the food, I know it is

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I will quietly admit to having been a frozen food snob.  I only bought fresh veggies and fruits but I started buying some frozen produce during the current situation.  I have been pleasantly surprised at how good the vegetables are, including asparagus.

It's a bit too early for fresh nectarines, peaches or cherries.  

@tansy,  excluding local farmer's markets where the produce and fruit is extremely fresh frozen fruits and vegetables are often better quality than what you get in the grocery store.

Fruits and vegetables that are going to be frozen are usually picked at peak, processed and frozen within hours.  Fruits and  vegetables that are destined for supermarkets frequently spend days in processing and transport.

I know it isn't the same as frozen asparagus, corn, green beans, etc. but the romaine lettuce I bought today was grown in Santa Maria, California, picked on May 12th and bought in NC on May 29th, deteriorating a little every day.

Back to the frozen vegetables--picked at peak, processed and frozen within hours.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

all fruit is lousy. Plums are hard, bite into one and they're already turned bad even though they're hard.

grapes are ok, ranier cherries are about the only thing that is decent.

I buy green bananas and by next day they're riper then I like.

tomatoes are hard and yellow.  Some apples you buy already rotten even though they look good.

Pears are OK.  Don't know how vegetarians do it when what all they got to pick from is salmonella greens and rotten /green fruit. Why they're all skinny I guess.  Cherry tomatoes taste the best.

I'm waiting on Colorado peaches now. gonna be sky high. Strawberries are hit and miss. If they're to green cramps me up even though they look ripe. They must spray them LOL