Respected Contributor

Re: I am so tired of throwing away food...

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Bridgegal 

Actually, my biggest gripe is with  FLOWERS THAT HAVE NO SCENT.  (sorry for shouting)

I can't even recall the last time I smelled a fragrant rose .... or bunch of lilacs ..... or any flower that had a wonderful fragrance .... back in the olden days.     

Rose  Rose  Rose  Rose  Rose

Oh yes, don't even get me started on flowers.   

Respected Contributor

I am sorry you're going through this, @Bridgegal .

As others have found, I've discovered that often frozen beats fresh. I gave up on fresh strawberries after I found even Driscolls woody and flavorless, but am delighted by Goya's frozen whole strawberries. No sugar, and they taste great.

I use arugula instead of lettuce. I love the flavor and I can get a lot of meal mileage from a cello bag. My BLT is bacon, arugula, vine tomatoes, and Thousand Island dressing.

After years of disappointment with "homegrown" and "Jersey" tomatoes, I now eat only tomatoes on the vine, and only if they have that wonderful smell of tomatoes. (I can smell it even through my mask.) I'll also eat certain brands of cherry tomatoes and grape tomatoes, but the ones on the vine, which are $1 to $2/lb lately, are my top pick.

When it comes to green beans, I never get fresh and only get the frozen square Italian-cut green beans, which always taste good to me, especially with some onions and stewed tomatoes.

Don't give up on enjoying your food. Maybe now is the time to explore different varieties, seasonings, recipes. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't throw away food, but I also don't buy very many fresh fruits and vegetables that aren't in season locally. The fresh items like sweet corn, tomatoes, peaches, etc aren't harvested in my area for a month or two. I buy frozen or canned veggies until then, and smaller bags of grapes and less perishable fruits for now. Acorn/spaghetti squash seem to be flavorful in the fall and winter season and we have them a lot.

My taste buds are probably different, but I haven't found that fruits and vegetables are less flavorful....but then I don't buy many fresh veggies/fruits out of season.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Marp 

Good suggestion.  Believe me, I have.  Had nose and sinuses checked out by ENT Dr.   Had a CT scan of my head.  Talked to PCP.   Talked to dentist.   Type of food makes no difference.  No answer yet.  

@Bridgegal,  does all that mean you are also experiencing diminished sense of smell?  Perhaps a neurologist that specializes in the brain and nervous system.  You might also ask your PCP to test your B12 level.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Tinkerbell 44:

Yes, especially carnations.

I always smell each bunch among the many bunches at the supermarkets. 

'Every once in awhile', only one bunch of carnations out of the lot have a beautiful carnation scent.

The rest don't seem to have any scent at all.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

This is why I won't do a grocery pickup or online order for fresh produce. It is such a risk the quality and the ripeness. 

The places I get most of my produce have had great stuff since Covid started. I chalked it up to the fact the restaurants closed, and there was a glut of good produce in the market. Our stores were full and the quality great. 

But many times we have experienced lousy and tasteless produce that often rots, instead of ripening. Frustrating and costly.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

No problems with any of my food or the taste.  We had delicious fresh, sweet and juicy grapefruits this morning.

Perhaps you are buying vegetables and fruits imported because they are out of season, or picked too soon.

DH will only buy corn from our local farmers' markets, and he also prefers their tomatoes.

I frequently buy the frozen cherries and they are usually quite yummy after they thaw.

We have plenty of grocery shopping choices in our area.

I rarely throw anything away unless it has gone bad.  I also have dogs who happily eat leftovers!

Honored Contributor

I will quietly admit to having been a frozen food snob.  I only bought fresh veggies and fruits but I started buying some frozen produce during the current situation.  I have been pleasantly surprised at how good the vegetables are, including asparagus.

It's a bit too early for fresh nectarines, peaches or cherries.  

Honored Contributor

Talk about first world problems. 

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I am sorry you're going through this, @Bridgegal .

As others have found, I've discovered that often frozen beats fresh. I gave up on fresh strawberries after I found even Driscolls woody and flavorless, but am delighted by Goya's frozen whole strawberries. No sugar, and they taste great.

I use arugula instead of lettuce. I love the flavor and I can get a lot of meal mileage from a cello bag. My BLT is bacon, arugula, vine tomatoes, and Thousand Island dressing.

After years of disappointment with "homegrown" and "Jersey" tomatoes, I now eat only tomatoes on the vine, and only if they have that wonderful smell of tomatoes. (I can smell it even through my mask.) I'll also eat certain brands of cherry tomatoes and grape tomatoes, but the ones on the vine, which are $1 to $2/lb lately, are my top pick.

When it comes to green beans, I never get fresh and only get the frozen square Italian-cut green beans, which always taste good to me, especially with some onions and stewed tomatoes.

Don't give up on enjoying your food. Maybe now is the time to explore different varieties, seasonings, recipes. Good luck!

@noodleann   I was just going to say something about Driscoll's strawberries.  I had them the other day and some blueberries for shortcake dessert.

Cutting the strawberries-you are right-they were woody inside.  These were fairly large but even the next batch I bought that were smaller were horrid.  And they barely lasted even though I don't wash until ready to use.

I had to cut around the center of each strawberry.  What a waste.

The blueberries are fine-not Driscoll's, though.

In fact it seems apples and blueberries are the only fruits holding up right now. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh