Respected Contributor

I am so tired of throwing away food...

Yet again, I'm throwing away food I just bought this morning.  A 32 oz bag of green beans from Whole Foods.  I cooked them like I always do and they have hardly any taste at all and what taste they do have isn't a green bean taste.

I buy fruit that has no taste and throw it away.  On and on.   Over and over.   I thought the answer was to buy only what is local and in season but I've tried that too with similar results.

The Ranier cherries are decent, barely.   

Am I the only one???

Respected Contributor

Re: I am so tired of throwing away food...

It's not just you!  I picked up my grocery order today...the tomatoes are nearly tasteless.  Pseudo Tomatoes.

Esteemed Contributor

No, that has not been my experience.

Maybe your taste buds are changing?

I only throw food out that is old/spoiled.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

You're right, food doesn't have the rich taste of the past.  Genetic modifications have done a lot of damage.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try your local farmer's market for fresh, seasonal fruit & veggies with real flavor. Now's the timeSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal 

Not just you.  DH & I have been noticing a slowwww  downturn for years, especially with meat.  Unless you season it heavier than in the past or do a sauce it's tasteless.

Sad to say, I think it may become worse...

Denise
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

Yes, I know they are (that's another story)  but DH says the same thing.   

I think they have messed with our food to the point that it doesn't have the flavor it used to.

I bought fresh organic green beans last year at our local farmers market.  $7.00 a pound and they had NO taste.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

Yet again, I'm throwing away food I just bought this morning.  A 32 oz bag of green beans from Whole Foods.  I cooked them like I always do and they have hardly any taste at all and what taste they do have isn't a green bean taste.

I buy fruit that has no taste and throw it away.  On and on.   Over and over.   I thought the answer was to buy only what is local and in season but I've tried that too with similar results.

Am I the only one???

@Bridgegal,  if this phenomenon is spreading to other foods or becoming more frequent I strongly urge you to discuss this with your doctor, particularly if you find the loss of taste to be mostly with savory foods while sweets/sweeter foods taste good or even better.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

It's not just you!  I picked up my grocery order today...the tomatoes are nearly tasteless.  Pseudo Tomatoes.

@alicedee Ripen like the farmers did in a paper bag a few days.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

Am I the only one???

@Bridgegal   I'm not tossing food but I agree that the taste of food is almost non-existent.

I almost bought Ranier cherries at WF the other day-but last year the cherries-both Ranier and the deep red type tasted had an awful taste-sour-like and these were organic, too.

I know those bags of green beans; I have stayed away from them.

I haven't seen fresh loose green beans in ages.

I bought 2 nectarines-the white flesh because those are sweeter than yellow flesh-and they were also sour tasting.

Forget the peaches.  You could play baseball with them they were so hard.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh