Honored Contributor

Re: I am so sad today

[ Edited ]

I would like to know what foods are your favorites from your country, and olive oil ,what is the best?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dinaki,

I can empathize with you about how deeply you are missing your birthplace -- especially when it is Greece.  You are longing for the warmth, beauty and family joy that are part of visits to one's homeland.

To keep your spirit up, call some of your relatives or email them.  During "Greek" Easter (i.e., Eastern Orthodox Easter), I and a first cousin who lives in Athens "attended" the same Holy Week church services.  He shared the URL of his Greek Orthodox parish in Athens, and we experienced the Liturgy together.   We had never done that before, and it was a very sweet and bonding experience.

(I forgot to add that we would email one another during the service.  I'd tell him I liked the voice of the tallest chanter, etc.  He wrote back that he wants me to visit Greece again, very soon. Things like that...)

Courage!    

Honored Contributor

@Dinaki    You may not have meant it to sound that way but those of us in the USA are grateful to be here and don't feel "stuck".  There are millions in the world who'd love to be in your place.  You'll probably rub some of us the wrong way.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Ruby Laine

I thank you dear, you are so uplifting to me.

There's one problem though, I have a family there that needs my help. I have one shop there that this week goes under the bad "chapter".

I am so many miles away and cannot do nothing to them. That couple was with me since twenty years. His wife had a baby just three months ago. I know that they are stuggling a lot. I ordered my nice to have milk buying to the baby. I will support them finnacialy for two moths, I cannot any more.

The other shop I am keeping it with my teeth, the other I am loosing it this week.

That's why I needed to be home and not only for bathing under an island.

****** Coronavirus, I hate so much!

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Trusted Contributor

@ jeanlake

I cannot extend my trip, I cannot be absent from US more than six months as I have the Green Card. If I do that, I shall not be allowed to enter back here.

In one of my other posts, I have explaiing the reason why I dont want to become American citizen, its fanancially the reason.

Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

Please do accept my sincere condolescense on the permanent absence of your mama.

PSX_20190719_150514.jpg

Valued Contributor

@Dinaki wrote:

@Ruby Laine

I thank you dear, you are so uplifting to me.

There's one problem though, I have a family there that needs my help. I have one shop there that this week goes under the bad "chapter".

I am so many miles away and cannot do nothing to them. That couple was with me since twenty years. His wife had a baby just three months ago. I know that they are stuggling a lot. I ordered my nice to have milk buying to the baby. I will support them finnacialy for two moths, I cannot any more.

The other shop I am keeping it with my teeth, the other I am loosing it this week.

That's why I needed to be home and not only for bathing under an island.

****** Coronavirus, I hate so much!

I'm so sorry, @Dinaki, it's always something! I did not think for one second that you were thinking, "Poor me!  No one ever had it so rough!"  When we go through rough spots, it's not that we don't know how lucky or blessed we are. It's not that we are not grateful for what we have. It's just we have "moments."  Everyone does!  I know you feel you are lucky and blessed in many ways. 

It's normal to be down once in a while. Sometimes people forget that. We have all suffered disappointments and even tragedies. You sound to me like someone who, in a few days, will be back to your happy self. Don't let anyone tell you your feelings aren't valid. 

So here's to summer, better times, and a trip home to see your loved ones!

Honored Contributor

I sympathize with the situation you are in. I agree with others who said to put your luggage away so it isn't a constant reminder.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

Since looking at your suitcase is making you unhappy, unpack it, put your clothing away, and put the suitcase away.

Be glad you're not sick with the virus, that you have a husband, and that you'll probably get to go to Greece eventually. When it's safer.

The people I feel sorry for are those who weren't able to be with loved ones when they died, and those who died. That is my metric for what is sad these days.

Thank you for saying what I was thinking. My mom died from it, caught it in assisted living...was first to catch it, late March, shortly after shut-down and before they could even catch their breath about how to keep people safe, get the proper cleaning supplies, and procedures in place.  Anyway...lonnng story, and she fought it for 15 valient days, but her compromised lungs (otherwise the picture of health, just had some seasonal bronchial issues), a young, fun, sassy, vibrant 91 year old.  I was blessed to have her that long and we had a wonderful relationship, I have a million wonderful memories...BUT....it doesn't matter...this is DEVASTATING for those in assisted living, and their families who cannot be involved in keeping them safe, knowing what's going on, and the nightmare of having them die in the hospital without you having been able to go there.  She didn't want me there for safety reasons, so not like she was very upset by that... we facetimed while she was still coherent, and she would NOT have wanted to live a life with less good health, as I'm told if she could have beat the virus her lungs would have had a long road to "recovery" and likely not the same quality of life.  Bottom line, who knows for sure. But at LEAST she lived a full life and didn't degenrate into a bad quality of life. And we were "complete" with each other." Still....it's NEVER time in our hearts. And this way was like a whiplash NO ONE imagined!!  THAT is the kind of heartache I'm focused on for those like myself (I have other friends who lost loved ones too.)...so I'm sorry, while I totally understand we all come at this from our own perspectives...it's just hard to stomach those complaining about having to still wear masks, or not be able to get "back to our liiiives"...some NEVER will. And NO it doesn't matter that "these people are at the end of their lives anyway."  Ok...rant done.  Nothing against OP, I know it's just where she's at.  Just adding to your post to try to shed some perspective ....I WISH mom was back, and all that happened was a cancelled vacation for me.  Anyway...on that note...Peace everyone.

Trusted Contributor

@ goldensrest

Number one in the list is the fresh fish. Grilled in the charchoal drizzled with ladolemono (Greek sauce).

Imagine this. You are in a taverna by the seaside, waves on your feet, you are enjoying the Ouzo along the Greek salad, there's in the backround Zorba the Greek playing, a side dish of calamary, and in another small plate, some barbouni (red mullets I think its called).

whole-roast-fish.jpg