Esteemed Contributor

Re: I am so impressed with Amazon

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I'm gald they are here in the U.S. and not in Mexico or China.  

They are in the us because they selll to us, you realize that, right?  this is just a retail operation,like qvc, but on a bigger scale.  they don't produce anything.  they don't even hold that muh inventory.  a lot of those third pary sellers are in foreign countries like china.  i have the chinese mailing wrappers to prove it.

Frequent Contributor

There has been a mass exodus from NY for years and now tops the chart.  While there's many factors, one is not enough good paying jobs, so it's not really surprising that there is the very rich and the poor who are left.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

You do realize that your $3 billion subsidy is in return for $27 billiion in corporate taxes - not to mention the additional workers' taxes and the other revenue they would bring NYC.

And the $3 billion is NOT money you HAVE that you were going to GIVE them, but rather a discount.  So how, exactly are you going to "better use" this money you don't have - not to mention all the taxes you lost?

No @Isobel Archer that is not how subsidies work.  The subsidies come in when they meet hiring targets under the agreement they never finalized.  i wanted Amazon but not with the subsidies.  the people who live in the neighborhood were concerned about being displaced.  You may not know this, but Amazon is already employing thousands in nyc and is planning to expand its operations here, without any subsidies.  they wanted to be in nyc becase its customers are here and they make a lot of money here.  anazon will expand here and nyc will get the jobs without subsidies. 

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

You do realize that your $3 billion subsidy is in return for $27 billiion in corporate taxes - not to mention the additional workers' taxes and the other revenue they would bring NYC.

And the $3 billion is NOT money you HAVE that you were going to GIVE them, but rather a discount.  So how, exactly are you going to "better use" this money you don't have - not to mention all the taxes you lost?

No @Isobel Archer that is not how subsidies work.  The subsidies come in when they meet hiring targets under the agreement they never finalized.  i wanted Amazon but not with the subsidies.  the people who live in the neighborhood were concerned about being displaced.  You may not know this, but Amazon is already employing thousands in nyc and is planning to expand its operations here, without any subsidies.  they wanted to be in nyc becase its customers are here and they make a lot of money here.  anazon will expand here and nyc will get the jobs without subsidies. 

So you're saying you didn't lose the $27 billion and the 25,000 jobs after all?  Really?

Trusted Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@vacationday wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

I think they caved to the pressure, Amazon brings jobs and the area they were planning on building in need jobs

The area they were planning on going to is in desperate need of affordable middleclass housing. Something that is the direct opposite of what happens when Amazon moves in.

I think I understand.  People there did not want the housing market to be like Silicon Valley??  Yet, Upstate NY wants them.  Confusing.  @reiki604 

Upstate NY is much less congested than where they were proposing the new headquarters without the housing crisis the city has for affordable housing.  In addition were the enormous tax subsidies that Amazon was to be given were simply not beneficial or supportive of the needs of the area they  wanted to move into. I use Amazon and wish they could have worked it out but I understand the concerns of the community and how Amazon would have caused more problems than it solved.

Well people up here are now making a stink over an Amozon warehouse coming in. I'm sick of giving breaks to get business in but I'm also sick of this state making it hard for business to begin with.

The addition of anti Amazon people to a state board was all the writing on the wall that Amazon needed probably. Why come to NY when the people are openly opposed?

Respected Contributor

Clearly the people who don't get why the people who live in the areas where Amazon wanted to build have never lived or have knowledge about NYC. It is a big, culturally and economically diverse city with 5 separate and distinct boroughs. Most people consider NYC to be Manhattan, but there is so much more to the city. The middle class has been driven out of Manhattan but there is a strong middle class in the other 4 boroughs who want to keep their standard of living and not be driven out by an entity that will do little (as seen historically in other areas) to enhance their neighborhoods and way of life. What it does do is bring in H-1B visa holders to fill the jobs instead of locals. BTW, these visa holders are likely to become the majority of Illegal immigrants as they overstay their visas.

We are not taking about warehouse jobs that would be brought in, they are skilled and corporate jobs, that will push out the poorer and middle class of the area without plans of where they are to go. The warehouses here have already been built and are functioning. The workers in the one near me are trying to unionize because despite the decent salaries,  the working conditions are deplorable.

Given how little that Amazon would bring to the neighborhood, and the damage it would do, it is no wonder that the local population and government officials pushed back.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Clearly the people who don't get why the people who live in the areas where Amazon wanted to build have never lived or have knowledge about NYC. It is a big, culturally and economically diverse city with 5 separate and distinct boroughs. Most people consider NYC to be Manhattan, but there is so much more to the city. The middle class has been driven out of Manhattan but there is a strong middle class in the other 4 boroughs who want to keep their standard of living and not be driven out by an entity that will do little (as seen historically in other areas) to enhance their neighborhoods and way of life. What it does do is bring in H-1B visa holders to fill the jobs instead of locals. BTW, these visa holders are likely to become the majority of Illegal immigrants as they overstay their visas.

We are not taking about warehouse jobs that would be brought in, they are skilled and corporate jobs, that will push out the poorer and middle class of the area without plans of where they are to go. The warehouses here have already been built and are functioning. The workers in the one near me are trying to unionize because despite the decent salaries,  the working conditions are deplorable.

Given how little that Amazon would bring to the neighborhood, and the damage it would do, it is no wonder that the local population and government officials pushed back.

Well then I guess for those who wanted them out, it's a win-win.  Good for you.

Honored Contributor

I've become part of Amazon.  Not only am I prime, but I buy all of groceries (Whole Foods) through them.  I place an order, they deliver the next day. I schedule it before 7:00AM before I leave for work.  I just put away the food.  All the food is accounted for and it shows up without fail. Not just food, but other stuff like Tide Detergent, fabric softener, etc.  Anything you get in a supermarket, I can order it. 

Honored Contributor

I ordered a k cup brand that i had never bought ,it is terrible  ,they said not to send back ,they will refund.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I've become part of Amazon.  Not only am I prime, but I buy all of groceries (Whole Foods) through them.  I place an order, they deliver the next day. I schedule it before 7:00AM before I leave for work.  I just put away the food.  All the food is accounted for and it shows up without fail. Not just food, but other stuff like Tide Detergent, fabric softener, etc.  Anything you get in a supermarket, I can order it. 

@songbird 

Other places do that as well ....... our grocery store chain does that thru Instacart,  anything the grocery store sells they'll deliver,  I can schedule it the day before for next day delivery at a specified time or even a same day delivery.....

Yep anything from tide laundry soap to 30lb bags of cat litter, to birthday wrapping paper.....and its A lot ceaper than Amazon Prime too...Always EXCELLENT and professionäl service.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”