Honored Contributor

Re: I am obviously a cold-hearted witch...

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

You're definately not a witch.  I have more respect for animals then any human any day of the week.  If a cat was hanging off a cliff and so was a human, it's a no brainer for me, I'd save the cat.  At least he/she would appreciate it and say thank you. 

It's a no-brainer to attach qualities to a beloved pet that you wish you saw in humans. But as beloved as they are, they do not possess the complex brain that separates them from humans. They most definitely can be as smart as a whip, but they are not a match for the human brain in all its wonder, both positive and negative. This is a fact.

If you forget the positive about humans, as is reflected in your post and many that I see here often, you are left with an inordinately bleak view that doesn't match the reality.

As for saving a cat over a human being, I'm at a loss for words, other than that I hope you are never the human in that scenario. I love each and every pet we've ever had, but if I were ever put in such an improbable situation, I would save the human life and mourn the animal's death.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I think I may have replied to this thread before.  As I write this my 75 pound dog is outside in his fenced yard eating his dinner.  Now that he is old he spends most of his time in the house.  I do not currently have a cat but every cat I have had has been an indoor/outdoor cat.  They roam outside during the day and sleep in the house at night.  None have ever disappeared or been hit by cars - all died of old age.  If having another cat involves having a litter box in my house I probably will stick with dogs.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I think I may have replied to this thread before.  As I write this my 75 pound dog is outside in his fenced yard eating his dinner.  Now that he is old he spends most of his time in the house.  I do not currently have a cat but every cat I have had has been an indoor/outdoor cat.  They roam outside during the day and sleep in the house at night.  None have ever disappeared or been hit by cars - all died of old age.  If having another cat involves having a litter box in my house I probably will stick with dogs.  

Yes but unfortunately your neighbors all have to deal with your cat in their yards. I always laugh because everyone I know says that their cat stays in their yards, lol. No, they don't. I know for a fact that they don't and my dad is constantly catching the neighbors cats in the cat trap in his yard, cats that the neighbors always argue only stay in their yard.

I wish people would understand that you need to keep your cat on your property. I love cats but I don't want your cats in my yard, period. I don't like finding cat poop in my bark. I don't like your cats chasing the birds and killing them in my yard under the bird feeder and I don't want your cats spraying on my front door. Be a responsible pet owner and keep the cats in your house or make fenced area outside where they can take in the outdoors without bothering everyone else. Or even train them to be on a harness like we did and take them for walks or let them play out in the back yard while being staked down so they don't roam. 

Trusted Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana. We had a Siberian husky who was an escape artist.  He could dig to he.. and he could climb.  I was a stay at home mom so he was with me all day but he did not like staying in the house for long.  To make a long story short our solution ended up being a huge 15' heavy chain with a 6' solid metal stake all the way into the ground.  He had full run of his area in every direction.  He had a thick leather collar with 2 kinds of connections to the chain.  We watched him climb fences, take a stick and use it as a tool to open various latches, etc.  He died of cancer at 11 but was a strong active dog until the end.  He pulled the kids in wagons and later on their cross country skis. He I had the ability to exercise a Siberian I would get another one.  Beagles also climb 6' fences.  At the time we purchased her vets thought they should have a litter before being sprayed.  She and her litter kept escaping but there were no holes or breaks any place in the fencing.  We happened to be looking out our bedroom window and caught the escape artists in the act.  She climbed that fence by straddling the corners and the young puppies followed her.  Thank goodness the puppies were being weaned and would be going to their new homes.  Animals are not dumb. Try competing with a ferret or a raccoon.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

Yes but unfortunately your neighbors all have to deal with your cat in their yards. I always laugh because everyone I know says that their cat stays in their yards, lol. No, they don't. I know for a fact that they don't and my dad is constantly catching the neighbors cats in the cat trap in his yard, cats that the neighbors always argue only stay in their yard.

I wish people would understand that you need to keep your cat on your property. I love cats but I don't want your cats in my yard, period. I don't like finding cat poop in my bark. I don't like your cats chasing the birds and killing them in my yard under the bird feeder and I don't want your cats spraying on my front door. Be a responsible pet owner and keep the cats in your house or make fenced area outside where they can take in the outdoors without bothering everyone else. Or even train them to be on a harness like we did and take them for walks or let them play out in the back yard while being staked down so they don't roam. 

@HappyDaze

I do not have cats and have no plans to get a cat but many of my neighbors have cats that are outside and I do not have any problems with them and I have never heard any other neighbors (or friends) complaning about cats.  This could be your problem.

Respected Contributor

We had a pomeranian that only went out in a fenced yard but he would be ready to run through your legs if you opened the front door and off he would go.  My husband is the slowest moving person on earth so he let him out numerous times and we would be driving around trying to catch him. 

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

Well, you do realize that those birds you love and attract to your yard with your bird feeder poop all over your neighbors property don't you?  I have neighbors all around me who feel compelled to feed the birds (something that really should only be done in winter when food sources are slim) and I am endlessly having to wash bird poop off my deck, pool deck and covers and outdoor furniture.  Forget being able to hang anything outside to dry.

Esteemed Contributor

I am on board with the OP.  Like children -  there are many folks out there who shouldn't have children as well. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust