Respected Contributor

Re: I am obviously a cold-hearted witch...

@ID2 wrote:

I remember, years ago, we had a group of workers in our backyard putting in our patio. Well, I noticed a dog sitting nearby and just assumed he was with them. I walked outside and they asked if he was our dog. Friendly dog but not either of ours. I looked at his tags, called the vet number, they contacted the owner and she was out to retrieve her dog. She was so grateful and I felt very good about what I had done. About two weeks later I noticed a lost dog sign posted in the neighborhood and you guessed it, it was the same dog. Geez.

I have a neighbor who has a husky.  She is an escape artist.  They are always in hot pursuit of her and are endlessly working on eliminating her escape routes.  Eventually I'm sure they will have their yard secured.  Until then, I always gladly pitch in to get her back home.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana  I understand and respect your opinion. I believe that people need to held accountable for their actions.....like a drunk who decides to drive and kills someone. Nope, I don't feel for the drunk. Or a parent who chooses to not watch their 16 month old and the child pulls a heavy piece of furniture over and is killed.

Choices. We make them. The end result is on you for THAT choice. So yes, I am a cold hearted witch..... and proud of it.

I pray that you are never in the position....perfection is hard to maintain and it only takes a moment of distraction in many cases.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buck-i-Nana  Then I suppose you feel that the man who allowed his baby to bake and die in his car should have my understanding because I'm so perfect I wouldn't do such a thing? 

Wrong. In every way. Perfect? No. Makes sacrifices, takes precautions, plan ahead because I am responsible for those in my care that I chose to have in my care? ABSOLUTELY. 

There is a HUGE difference between a dog slipping out despite every precaution (those ****** Husky's!) and a person letting the dog out to run around because they can't be bothered to be a responsible owner. If you don't see that, nothing I can say will make it clear.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yep, out here in the country animals go missing all the time. City folk trying to play country and letting their cat Fluffy with their cute pink or blue collars runring around like they do in a neighborhood and then are shocked/sad when their cat goes "missing". Sorry, probably not missing but was lunch for another animal. It is no joke, folks, if you truly care about your animals, take care of them, and that means don't let them runaround freely. It isn't good for them nor is it fair to others who have to deal with your pet in their own space/yard/property.

Honored Contributor

Yes, so many overnight predators out there.  Coyotes, raccoons, fox, mountain lions, and whatever else roams around during the late evenings.  Better to keep pets inside, especially overnight, if even just placing them in garages or basements (with food and water and blankets, etc., of course.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I am extra paranoid that something could happen to our Shih-Tzu. We do have wild-life but whether we did or not...I am within steps of her at all times outside. We have dogs taken from yards and disappearances due to wild-life. I even saw a mountain cat walking beside our home...let alone snakes and other animals like coyotes. I never leave her in the yard unattended for any length of time.

I do not understand someone who isn't pro-active and seem to believe nothing can happen to their pet(s).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

My friend used to let her dog out in the front yard. The dog would never, ever leave her yard.  He would do his business and come to the door to come inside. 

Unfortunately, one day the dog was near the road and someone went off the road and hit and killed her dog.  That was the last time she ever let her dog in the front yard.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a crazy cat lady in the neighborhood that feeds the strays and those that are allowed out to roam.

My cat is indoor only and if any of them happen to sashay across the lawn or the driveway mine will go BSC to the point that I cannot open the front windows anymore.  She must be able to smell them invading her territory.

One day one of the strays flung themself into the storm door, sending mine into a frenzy - she found me two rooms away and went ballistic - scratched me and it got infected...  

If there were a way for me to trap them and take them over to the shelter I would.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  Oh, LipstickDiva.... Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We have a crazy cat lady in the neighborhood that feeds the strays and those that are allowed out to roam.

My cat is indoor only and if any of them happen to sashay across the lawn or the driveway mine will go BSC to the point that I cannot open the front windows anymore.  She must be able to smell them invading her territory.

One day one of the strays flung themself into the storm door, sending mine into a frenzy - she found me two rooms away and went ballistic - scratched me and it got infected...  

If there were a way for me to trap them and take them over to the shelter I would.

Be very aware that this behavior could escalate.

I had an indoor cat who attacked me a few times after seeing an animal outside.  It got really bad and my vet told me of others he knew who ended up in the hospital after an attack.  He also told me that the behavior very often escalates and gets worse.  It did in my case.  It was horrible.

You cannot control what goes on outside your windows.