Honored Contributor

Re: I am done with over priced restaurant buffet meals on special occasions

[ Edited ]

When I worked as a waitress we had one buffet night, and it amazed me how many dishes people would pile at the end of the table as they made sure they 
"got their money's worth".

I much prefer to sit down, pick what I want from the menu, and be served.

(And you never know if someone has coughed on the buffet - unless you're there when it happens, which I have been, and I just turned around and left).

Not a buffet fan!

Honored Contributor

@petepeteywrote:

Easter brunch. The last few years we've gone out to eat. All of those places were reasonalble priced, order off the menu, one nice plate of food.

Yesterday I booked a place that had no indication on their web site that it was a buffet.

Yes, I will take the blame for not calling them and asking. 

We arrived and learned that it was an expensive buffet. We thought about it and ate anyway because we didn't have another option at that point.

Carbs, Sugar, over indulgence was the theme. I just don't eat like that. I never get value from a place like that. They didn't even include coffee or beverages in the price.

Easter and Mothers Day seem to be the biggest days for restaurants to over charge people for average food.  

Next year I am cooking my own family Easter dinner. 

How much was it a person?  @petepetey

Honored Contributor

This really happened at a buffet. It was out west, and there was an election going on . The opposition went to the local buffet ,and smeared ecoli on all of the surfaces.  People became deathly ill and couldn't vote

It was on 60 minutes ,or some such program. Every since then, I really didn't want my food to be available, to all and sundry. You never know what some kook might decide to do ,for whatever reason

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

@handygal2  I would rather just have one  average portion of food. I am not interested in all of this stuff...it's fine for those who are into trying everything. I stick with a limited food range because of health issues 

@cherry....buffets are really only great for people with large appetites, few if any food restrictions and teenage boys like my son back in the day who exercised everything off the next day.

My husband could eat at them. He can take in an enormous amount of calories without gaining an ounce. When we were young we went to a few but I got sick once and that was the end of eating at buffets. Also I noticed that people kept using their fingers and switching the spoons around and dipping them into a different dish.

Of course we have no idea what goes on in some of the kitchens of the restaurants we enjoy. However, I have not been sick in years from food poisoning, so a sit down meal at a nice place is my preference.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45wrote:

we went to a wonderful easter buffet yesterday at the beach. it was at our favorite italian restaurant here. they charged $25 per person. we also had a few cocktails.

they served.....

assorted mini desserts

pies'

cupcakes

flourless chocolate cake

easter candies

spring mix salad

asparagus salad

fruit salad

potato salad

assorted cheeses with honey and fig jam

italian bread

penne pomodoro

grilled salmon

shrimp cocktail (and the shrimp were big!)

steamed mussels in a garlic wine sauce

scrambled eggs

omelet station

pancakes

sausage

bacon

carved ham

roasted potatoes

it included coffee, tea, and iced tea

we feasted yesterday! it was also nice that our waitress gave us a coupon for a free appetizer or dessert on our next visit.

@sunshine45- I’d be in trouble at that one. I don’t care for the lunch choices at all so I guess I’d have to eat some of the breakfast choices.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@petepetey

I understand why people like buffets, but those are the same reasons I hate them.

1.  Too much food

2.  Too much food I wouldn't normally eat

3.  Cross contamination/cleanliness issues

4.  Too much food

5.  Too expensive 

6.  The sight of so many people overeating makes me queasy.

Respected Contributor

We went to our favorite restaurant for a buffet last Easter.

Too much of everything and the cost was way out of line. The way people pile the food on their plates just amazes me. 

No more buffets for us. Smiley Embarassed

Honored Contributor

I was just remembering a buffet line I was on a number of years ago and the woman ahead of me, right after a fresh pan of salmon had been put out, proceeded to take the serving spoon and push pieces around, turning them this way and that, picking small pieces out of the pan and pushing the food around the pan some more until it looked like, well, like what she had done to it.  

I was waiting and waiting for her to hurry up and finally said, rather loudly, "oh,for crying out loud,  just TAKE some and move on!".  She just turned and glared at me.  After ruining the dish.

People are crazy.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

The buffet was $35 per person. No coffee,tea or soda included.

I'm wondering what the large pan of 'scrambled eggs' really is. They are so uniform and bland. Is it a bag of eggs that are boiled, or dried eggs that are heated up with water. There is no way they are real eggs that are cracked in the kitchen and scrambled like I would do at home. ???

Honored Contributor

most of those buffet meals are loaded with fat, sugars,and other high calories and who knows what else.

I don't like going to buffets for several reasons. I hate going to place where people have pawed over food of what I would like to eat.  My diet is so limited (due to medical condition) so finding something to eat is almost impossible for me. It is a waste of money. The only buffet I know of is quite a ways from my house (close to hospital) and when we needed to use that facility we have. The cost is terrible. One adult is $15.00 and with me, not being able to eat much this is a waste of money to me. For people that can eat anything and everything that would be an OK price.