Honored Contributor

I am an idiot -- non-virus related

I can't believe I did this. I needed to order an item on Paulas' Choice. So I found a promo and placed my order.

As soon as I did there, there was message at the top of the order page that if I bought another item within I think five minutes, I would get it at 60 percent off (should have been a huge red flag). It also said that I would get one confirmation for the two items.

Guess what. I received two order confirmation e-mails, and quelle surprise, the second item was not discounted.

I waited a few minutes, thinking I might a corrected one, but no such luck. I called, but they aren't open on the weekends, so I sent a message through their site.

I mentioned this in passing to my husband, who turned and gave me that look. He said it is almost certainly a scam. We check our credit card company daily so will see any bogus purchases,  but his concern was that they might gain access to our private info, including my SS.

We have a credit freeze, and also he's not really sure that our CC company has our SS. But still, I can't believe that I fell for it.

This serves as a warning to all who are idiots like me. -(

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Re: I am an idiot -- non-virus related

@suzyQ3 

I might be placing an order tonight. If I do, I'll let you know if the same thing happens. Have you logged into your account to see what shows up there?

Honored Contributor

So do you think it was a fake site? Or just that Paula's Choice was trying to put one over on you? If it's just a Paula's Choice issue, I hope they'll get back to you and adjust things for you.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 

You are not an idiot at all.  The criminals are just so very clever and they make their offers look so ligitimate.  Hope you get it all straightened out!  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

@suzyQ3 

I might be placing an order tonight. If I do, I'll let you know if the same thing happens. Have you logged into your account to see what shows up there?

Yes, @Caffeina, it show both orders with no discount for the second one.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I use PC's products & shop her site often.  I've received offers like that before, but I generally decline unless it's a core product I use. The one or two times I've taken advantage of it, it has been legit.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

So do you think it was a fake site? Or just that Paula's Choice was trying to put one over on you? If it's just a Paula's Choice issue, I hope they'll get back to you and adjust things for you.

Hard to say, @Porcelain,. I won't know until Monday. I was thinking that maybe their site has been compromised. I doubt it was anything hinky from PC.

Honored Contributor

If the 2nd item showed up with no discount, I would shop elsewhere.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I've gotten and taken advantage of those before, so I doubt yours was a scam.   I can't recall, but there is a possibility the discount will show when it ships.  That has also happened to me on other sites with a discount.  

Honored Contributor

@Tori3569 wrote:

I've gotten and taken advantage of those before, so I doubt yours was a scam.   I can't recall, but there is a possibility the discount will show when it ships.  That has also happened to me on other sites with a discount.  

@Tori3569, that would be the best outcome. But regardless, I don't blame the site itself.