Super Contributor

I also had a problem with an ambulance bill, but thankfully unlike Hoosier, I did not have to wait a long time for resolution.  In my city, the ambulance services are apparently handled by more than one contractor.  For my punctured leg wound, the available ambulance was from a hospital in a nearby city.  First, my insurance company sent me the initial EOB, which indicated that they paid their allowed amount, but that I owed nothing further.  Shortly thereafter, the hospital which provided ambulance sent me a bill for the balance.  I paid that amount (because I was afraid of a collection action) and notified my insurance company by letter.  Surprise!  I received a check from the hospital for the balance I paid (no letter or apology).  My insurance company called and informed me that the hospital was in network and that I should never had been billed!  It's terrible when I think of people who are taken advantage of, especially when they are at their most vulnerable or do not have an advocate to help them.  

Regular Contributor

I'm happy it worked out in your favor LadyAlice.  I hope you are feeling better.

CH

Honored Contributor

When my daughter was in college, she had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic she was taking and her professor called 911 to take her to the hospital.

When we received a bill from the ambulance company I sent them a copy of the EOB showing we had $0 responsibility and never heard from them again.

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

When my daughter was in college, she had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic she was taking and her professor called 911 to take her to the hospital.

When we received a bill from the ambulance company I sent them a copy of the EOB showing we had $0 responsibility and never heard from them again.

Often these bills get crossed in the mail. The ambulance doesn't seem to get your insurance info all of the time. I think sometimes they get it right from the hospital but in fast moving situations they might not. Usually once you get them the insurance info it's no problem.

Super Contributor

Thank you for your replies.  I am fine.  I just want to point out that the ambulance bill clearly stated that my insurance company "paid their portion of this claim" and that the balance was "due upon receipt".  Trying to pull a fast one on me, a caregiver -- not my first rodeo!