Honored Contributor

I Wish Stores Would Go Back to Selling Stuff and Not Try to Run My Life For me

I go to my site to buy tea and there is health information featured, all sorts of "soothing" suggestions, space and copy telling me how they are saving the planet.  Recipes.

It's TEA!  I want to buy some tea.  Stores are supposed to sell things.  Not spend my consumer dollars on wellness and lifestyle and charity stuff.  That's supposed to be for ME to decide!

Is anyone else tired of the constant barrage of this from online retailers?  They not only clutter up their site and spend my money, they send me lots of stupid e-mails.  E-mails that have nothing to do with giving me a sale or a discount coupon or new products!  Woman Mad

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Wish Stores Would Go Back to Selling Stuff and Not Try to Run My Life For me

Many Brick and Mortar stores do the same thing as it pertains the various products.  Recipe cards in the aisle, tips on wearing a scarf, etc. It is how businesses have always worked.  They provide some value added for the purpose of additional or repeat sales.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Re: I Wish Stores Would Go Back to Selling Stuff and Not Try to Run My Life For me

I like wellness, lifestyle, environmental and charity stuff and I like doing business with companies that think about those things. It often gives me good ideas or things I didn’t know about. I take in what interests me and discard the rest.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy   I don't think it is anywhere near what it is today.  Plus, in stores you have the option to walk buy, take the card, or ignore it.  You can donate at the register or not in many instances.

Now it is pushed to you through their sites and e-mails.  Yes, you can unsubscribe, then you might miss a discount.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Many Brick and Mortar stores do the same thing as it pertains the various products.  Recipe cards in the aisle, tips on wearing a scarf, etc. It is how businesses have always worked.

True, especially grocery stores.  For a change, go to Aldi's.  They have no in-store advertising, or sales pitches over the PA, or TV monitors looping the latest hints from Joe the Butcher.  The place is quiet - like a library.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I go to my site to buy tea and there is health information featured, all sorts of "soothing" suggestions, space and copy telling me how they are saving the planet.  Recipes.

It's TEA!  I want to buy some tea.  Stores are supposed to sell things.  Not spend my consumer dollars on wellness and lifestyle and charity stuff.  That's supposed to be for ME to decide!

Is anyone else tired of the constant barrage of this from online retailers?  They not only clutter up their site and spend my money, they send me lots of stupid e-mails.  E-mails that have nothing to do with giving me a sale or a discount coupon or new products!  Woman Mad

@Sooner 

I understand totally where you're coming from.  By what I've read and heard from watching the business channels, this is what the millienials want, health info on food products and ways to "save the planet".

However, what they don't understand is the company hires someone to do this (unnecessary) research, and write what's on the website and emails and this expense gets passed on to the consumer in the form of higher prices!!!!  ....But I guess it provides the millennials with that "feel good feeling" about their purchases.  But I agree with you, we don't need this extraneous information nor additional costs and higher prices .  Id find another place to buy tea.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

SPURT's advice is sound, find another place to spend your tea dollars.  The consumer makes their feelings known through their patronage of a business.

Honored Contributor

I find it so difficult to find really good fruit flavored teas, i want a strong fruit flavor.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I read this correctly, we’re angry about the way a business 

donates their profits? And shares that info with their customers?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

If I read this correctly, we’re angry about the way a business 

donates their profits? And shares that info with their customers?

@sidsmom, I don't know whether that is exactly what the OP meant. I took her words as being more general. For example, I am totally turned off by the "inspirational" words on Philosophy products. I see it as slimely ( a word?) manipulative.

But about the donatIons: I have to be honest that if a company donates to a group to which I seriously want no connection, I may not be angry, but I sure as heck won't patronize that company.

This is the reason that I'm always reticent about criticizing others when they "boycott" a company or group with which I feel an alignment.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland