Honored Contributor

Re: I Went to a Mall and it Made Me Cry

@beach-mom 

I feel your pain!  Your post, in large part, could have been written by me!

We had 2 nice sized malls for our small area.  Once upon a time they were booming and every store occupied.  Once in a while one would close and it wouldn't be long until another would fill it.

The one mall slowly began to fade and was not cared for, until everything left and it still stands but is in bad shape.  We heard a lot of it was due to the fact that the owners kept raising the rent so high that the stores could no longer afford it.

The other mall is dying a slow death.  They may be 10 stores left, if that, and as you have written, most of them are not even stores but other things and ones you don't even want to frequent.  Out of a large food court, there is perhaps 1-2 places left.

I have always loved mall shopping, especially the self-contained ones.  It was such a pleasure to park your car, go in out of the elements and shop for everything in one place and also be able to enjoy a meal or snack.  

I also remember wonderful times shared with family members and friends.  The whole family could enjoy an outing and there were something for everyone!

I understand that many malls, and stores are struggling because of covid, people shopping on line, and also because of crime.

It's a very sad thing to see these places struggling and then evetually close up.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Our mall was in dire straits, probably at nor more than 20% occupancy and next to empty food court. The anchors were all but gone, only 1 remained, but they were bustling. They are now making a comeback, many of the smaller shops are locally owned and operated, the mall donates space to non-profits on a space available basis, restaurants are opening, there is a roller rink open and the big name candy store that moved out is moving back in and several of the chain stores that moved out in favor of the shopping center are now wishing they had not moved. Lot's of activities are coming the the mall again-it's wonderful to go by and see the parking lots  crowded! 

The really ironic part of this all is that two of the top 10 mall developers (at the time) in the country were located within a block of each other here in our little town.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

Remember the family owned stores we all had in our down towns, in small cities, malls came, the stores eventually closed,because of malls ,and walmart, now malls are closing.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The one mall I used to go to....(haven't been in that mall in 2 1/2 years)  The mall is still open.  Nordstrom is still there. There is a cafe in it.  They opened a supermarket in the old  Lord & Taylor store. It's called Lidl (a rival to the Aldi store)  It's odd thinking of a mall with a supermarket in it. I don't know of the other changes since the last time I was there. There was talk of putting in apartments/condos inside.  One reason the mall is still around is all of the restaurant and food courts surrounding it. Some stores like White House Black Market are gone though. That brand is still around.  They have a web site, just the stores in the mall seem to be gone.

Honored Contributor

The last time we were at a mall was BC. And it is very sad. Your posting is well written and very professional.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

yes it is sad.  all of it.  an old drive in to eat at is being torn down, not far from here.  All the old high school kids that knew it so well, are mourning it's demise today.

(As a side note to this, the other day, I said to my husband, " know what show would not make it today, that it did in the 50-60's?  Candid Camera.)  What a change in that!!!

Super Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Crime is overlooked and people don't work for a living in many instances.  Entitlement has led to this.  We think everyone deserves everything just because.  

@Sooner   Unemployment is way down.  Who, exactly are all of these people who are not working?  Entitlement has led to the downfall of malls???  I think malls/stores themselves have led to their own downfall.  

Honored Contributor

@SamBrown It's a drum beat

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn    I didn't edit my comments. QVC must had

LOL   

Honored Contributor

In our local Mall that was built and opened in 1980, has maybe only 5 stores in there. BBW, Foot Locker, and a jewelry store, a teen clothing store and something else. There is also a Big Planet Fitness inside the mall that does a great business, and also a discount furniture store that does a big business, but both you can enter into from the outside as well as the inside...

It really is sad! There was talk that our mall was going to become an apartment complex with it s own grocery store...Not sure if that will happen , but its sad to see, out town is only about 90,000 and we waited and waited for our own mall......Sign of the times!!! sad!