QVC Customer Care
Respected Contributor

Re: I Went to a Mall and it Made Me Cry

[ Edited ]

Agree, it's beyond sad. All the malls in Northeast I have frequented in long past days, now have medical offices instead of stores and has the local Public Library branch!  It's a different world, for sure. 😢😢😢

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SamBrown wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Crime is overlooked and people don't work for a living in many instances.  Entitlement has led to this.  We think everyone deserves everything just because.  

@Sooner   Unemployment is way down.  Who, exactly are all of these people who are not working?  Entitlement has led to the downfall of malls???  I think malls/stores themselves have led to their own downfall.  

Stats are manipulated.

Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@rockygems123 wrote:

@beach-mom It's so sad to see such a downfall.  Change is inevitable however in our past change was usually for the better.  

Our parents were grateful to see their hard work pay off and they were proud to give us a better life.  

As @SharkE says public places are not as safe as they were, truly a shame.

Your post had me picture great day trips with friends, was such a different time.

And growing up in SF we had the luxury of fancy dinners at the Mark Hopkins, the Fairmont for proms, parents' friends coming into town, girlfriend lunches and shopping at beautiful stores, all a thing of the long gone past.  So thankful we no longer live there and have adjusted and can enjoy the beauty of Colorado.  

@rockygems123 

I understand completely how you feel.  My daughter and I lived in the East Bay and would take BART into SF on weekends, hop a cable car and just take advantage of what the City had to offer.  I remember shopping for prom dresses as Jessica McClintock and to many memories to list.

I am now very happily in North Texas but so sad beautiful San Francisco is all but destroyed.  

I can attest to what has happened in "the city" in the past 40 years since we started going there to spend weekends to shop and get dressed up to go to nice restaurants and the theatre. The two major Nordstroms have now closed. One being their flagship store downtown on Market Street. The streets are disgustingly dirty and it now not even safe to be on them. Even in the daytime. Big drugstores are leaving because gangs walk in and just take what they want and nobody tries to stop them because they fear what will happen to them if they do. Wherever you park your car you are at high risk of a break in. Sad to see what used to be such a vital and vibrant city deteriorate.
Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 I have limited mobility and either use a walker or a mobility scooter. We each have our challenges.

Honored Contributor

Predictably, this has turned into a “let’s bash all the homeless as a bunch of bums thread”.

That kind of attitude is part of the problem, and one reason why nothing ever gets solved. Complain and then don’t fund any programs to help.

It’s not an easy solution. Frankly, our attitude toward homelessness, poverty, addiction, and mental illnesses says a lot atout our society and none of it is good.

Back to malls as a topic, it wasn’t that long ago that everyone was complaining that they were too many malls. Now we’re complaining that they’re closing. They’ve been dying a slow death for a decade. Malls are largely driven by younger generations, not seniors, and younger adults largely aren’t interested.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Besides crappy, cheap merchandise in stores these days (made in China), the real reason I don't go to malls is because I don't want to get shot!

Respected Contributor

I do feel Covid contributed to the downfall of Malls.  Hopefully, they can make a comeback.

Honored Contributor

A post about malls turns into a political agenda.

Lather, rinse, repeat
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Regular Contributor

At the mall nearest me teenage fights has been a problem. There have been free-for-all brawls and many arrests. The mall finally made a rule that after 6pm on Friday and Saturday all teens 17 and younger had to have an adult with them.