Respected Contributor

Re: I Went to a Mall and it Made Me Cry

Six years ago when we were considering moving to where we live now, we took a visit to the local mall.  It was right before Thanksgiving and the mall was in full holiday force.  All decorated, lots of stores and a lot of people in the mall.  Now the mall is on life support.  So many stores have closed: Brookstone, Justice, Hollister, Abercrombie & Fitch, Ambercrombie Kids, several jewelry stores, Godiva, Le Sur, Sears, Famous Footwear, Yankee Candle, Apple Store and the food court has 4 places left.  WE do have a newer/outdoor mall that is very popular.  It has higher end stores like Lily Pulitzer, Crate & Barrel, even a place to buy a Tesla.  A lot of restaurants and I think the restaurants are the draw.  If you look around, there's  A LOT of people, but not many carry shopping bags.  It's an outdoor mall with a multi-use/function.  There is a high end hotel, condos above the stores, next to it very expensive townhomes and houses, an AMC theater with a skating rink in front, green space and if you don't want to park your own car, they'll do it for you.  One time we went to the there,  I told my husband it was like a car show.  The cars that were driving around were the really expensive ones:  porsche, bugatti, bentley, lamborghini, etc.  It's always crowded there, impossible to get  parking spot after 11 am.  There has been talk for years that our indoor mall is supposed to do something like the outdoor mall but they just can't seem to get into an agreement.   I saw on the news about malls failing and that if they want to survive, they have to reinvent themselves.  

Honored Contributor

I have never enjoyed shopping in brick-and-mortar stores, and will opt for online purchases whenever possible.  I guess I'm part of the problem too.

Honored Contributor

Ours that opened back when I was in 9th grade, 1975 is still quite crowded.  Sears is long gone but the other two original department stores, Dillard's and JC Penney remains.  Chick fil-A original as well is in same location.  I did not go into the mall for years until my granddaughter started wanting to shop on her sleepovers with me.  But if Bath n Body or Claire's ever close then there will be no reason to go in.  

The arcade playing, el chico and the cafteria eaing days are long gone.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Indoor malls are an inconvenient place to shop. Their physical layout helped lead to their demise. I refuse to walk to one of those middle-of-the-mall stores. The outdoor retail centers are taking their place in many areas. It is much nicer to drive to the front door of the store you want to use.

As for online shopping, I despise it. I am rarely pleased with purchases. Occasionally, I am pleasantly surprised but the disappointments significantly outweigh the pleasant surprises.

I hope there is an opportunity for Mom and Pop stores to return as viable businesses. Those are the ones I miss. Quality merchandise from vendors too small to supply the chain stores is their ticket to success. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom @I like your writing style. 

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SamBrown wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Crime is overlooked and people don't work for a living in many instances.  Entitlement has led to this.  We think everyone deserves everything just because.  

@Sooner   Unemployment is way down.  Who, exactly are all of these people who are not working?  Entitlement has led to the downfall of malls???  I think malls/stores themselves have led to their own downfall.  

@SamBrown Easy answer on this one.  People who aren't counted in our underground economy.  A number of people who aren't on the books aren't working.  They are robbing, dealing, grifting and living off free stuff doled out to anyone who asks--no questions or proof of anything needed.

Why work? They are lots of the people you see on video breaking into cars, breaking into stores, robbing in parking lots, dealing drugs, and on and on.  We didn't used to see all that back when the economy thrived and malls were SAFE, which they are not now. 

Correlation?  Yep.  Causation?  A big probably from what I see. 

The people you are talking about have always been there. They are nothing new and there have been complaints about them for as long as there have been retail stores. I remember my grandparents having a very similar conversation back in the 60's, 60 years ago. The only difference is there weren't malls, only streets lined with stores. Dangerous because people 'knew you were carrying money' since you were in a shopping area and credit cards weren't a thingl yet.

@reiki604 True but today they run rampant, not jailed, just living off the working folk as "homeless" and "victims."  It is ALLOWED today and basically encouraged.  

And oddly, people who are working and paying for their upkeep are allowing it to happen.  I know there are lots who need help, and many of them don't get it because the thieves and scammers are in line first.

And in most cities, compare the amount of money put on on homeless people and the number they say that have.  Where I live, we could buy 'em a condo each for what is being spent.  Something is very wrong in this system.

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

Indoor malls are an inconvenient place to shop. Their physical layout helped lead to their demise. I refuse to walk to one of those middle-of-the-mall stores. The outdoor retail centers are taking their place in many areas. It is much nicer to drive to the front door of the store you want to use.

As for online shopping, I despise it. I am rarely pleased with purchases. Occasionally, I am pleasantly surprised but the disappointments significantly outweigh the pleasant surprises.

I hope there is an opportunity for Mom and Pop stores to return as viable businesses. Those are the ones I miss. Quality merchandise from vendors too small to supply the chain stores is their ticket to success. 

A couple of the newer retailers and even one a new restaurant that opened created entries to their establishments from the parking lot.  No mall access required if you care not to come in the actual mall.  They do make lovely entrances at their establishments.  I have not been inside any of them but it would be nice to go from car to table.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I grew up shopping in malls and I love them!

It is great to get exercise walking around and shopping. There are many wonderful dining spots as well. I always feel safe and comfortable, and the malls are decorated so nicely during the holidays.

I know many of the sales clerks by name and they know me.  I love to see what the new arrivals are in jewelry, fashion, shoes, etc. I enjoy trying on clothes and seeing the weight of the gold and jewelry sparkle up close, rather than through a computer screen or a television. Also they are special places to visit for rainy days, hot days, or cold days.

My favorite mall is King of Prussia--we now have so many designer high end boutique stores it is almost like being on Fifth Avenue in New York, or Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills..  It is great to go to Bloomingdales, Macy's, Neiman Marcus, and Nordstom all in one visit.  I truly miss Lord and Taylor, JC Penney's and Sears, but unfortunately, they have departed or gone bankrupt.  

Willow Grove Mall is still doing well although there have been store changes.  We also like Cherry Hill Mall and Bridgewater Commons in New Jersey, the Lehigh Valley Mall, and near Pittsburgh, Ross Park Mall. 

I know that many malls in smaller areas we used to visit have closed or lost many stores--I suppose the communities just do not have the population of shoppers like the large urban areas.

I will never stop shopping in malls, and I enjoy them very much!!

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

Interesting. After I had a heart attack my doctor recommended malls as a source of exercise. Going from one end to the other, walking at a fast pace can be great exercise. I guess driving places isn't all that conducive to good heart health according to my cardiologist.

Esteemed Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@beach-mom It's so sad to see such a downfall.  Change is inevitable however in our past change was usually for the better.  

Our parents were grateful to see their hard work pay off and they were proud to give us a better life.  

As @SharkE says public places are not as safe as they were, truly a shame.

Your post had me picture great day trips with friends, was such a different time.

And growing up in SF we had the luxury of fancy dinners at the Mark Hopkins, the Fairmont for proms, parents' friends coming into town, girlfriend lunches and shopping at beautiful stores, all a thing of the long gone past.  So thankful we no longer live there and have adjusted and can enjoy the beauty of Colorado.  

@rockygems123 

I understand completely how you feel.  My daughter and I lived in the East Bay and would take BART into SF on weekends, hop a cable car and just take advantage of what the City had to offer.  I remember shopping for prom dresses as Jessica McClintock and to many memories to list.

I am now very happily in North Texas but so sad beautiful San Francisco is all but destroyed.