Honored Contributor

Re: I Went to Urgent Care Today

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

I am surprised she didn't give you Buspar..... Non habit forming and relieves anxiety.

Urgent Care or ER docs who have not seen a patient before (and won't be seeing them again) and know nothing about them aren't likely to prescribe any controlled substance except for short term pain relief.

Buspar takes at least a week to get into the system, it's not immediate-acting, so would not have helped in this situation.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

You didn't let anyone down. But if you had swtiched to crack that would have been a bit of a disappointment. lol Take it one step at a time ; )

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

Here's something very important to remember. The majority of those who successfully quit smoking did so after several attempts. Few do it the first time out, or even the second. For me it was third-time-the-charm but for others I know it took even more attempts. The most important thing is that you keep trying. Work with your doctor, don't beat yourself up, and if you fail, try again. Ultimately you can do this. If you can't quit after attempt number one, you are NOT a failure. You just need to try again. Just don't give up. Get the help you need from your doctor, support groups, whatever works. You will ultimately succeed. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

PlaidPants, totally understand how your feeling right now. I have a bad weight problem and it seems it goes the same way . Also have a smoker in our family who just not quit their job is so stressing that they just can't quit. I don't even say any thing because I am not good at what I should be doing. Take care and give it another try that is all you can do. Good luck to you

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2, I so understand how and why you went to Urgent Care..  When I was coming off nicotine, I too had to see my PCP, at least 3 times- anxiety and chest pain..  I was put on Wellbutrin and it helped so much.  Please see your Doctor, you are going though withdrawal and in the long run, it's so worth it!!  Hang in there, we know exactly how you are feeling!!  OHHH I did stop the Wellbutrin..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

**********  You didn't let us down!  Look at it like climbing a sand dune.  One step forward, three steps back....just gotta keep climbing.  It doesn't matter how many steps you take backwards.....what matters is you take another one forward.  

Honored Contributor

There's a reason for this old saying, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again". So many areas, so many reasons, you'll get another chance to succeed at this, be patient with yourself. Next time, you'll do it next time. Or after that, just keep on keeping on.

Honored Contributor

What are you down on yourself for...you tried and you haven't given up.You just have a setback at the moment but it isn't the end.You will win if it this is what you want.I am rooting for you as are many others.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't ever be ashamed of trying to better yourself.  A lot of people don't even make the effort and get started.  You'll get there.  Heart

I have no experience in this area but I can tell you my brother-in-law quit again after walking through the Body Exhibit which of course had those lungs we probably all saw in grade school and a trash can right next to it for cigarettes.  

That was his motivation plus his new marriage and starting a family.  He went and got some sort of shot, twice I think.  That eventually worked and he's been a non-smoker for over a decade now.  Something to research that may help you too.

Now, let me tell you what I do have experience in:  sugar.  It has taken me about a decade to really get serious about completely overhauling what I put in my body even though I had test results showing high cholesterol and the damage that I was doing to myself.  It is the same type of addiction and even more deadly since heart disease is the number one killer.  Guess what causes it?  Bad diet.  

I'll bet you 99.9% of us would be in urgent care if we stopped cold turkey from all the bad food including never eating chocolate again.  It's tough to tell your body no and I'm still not 100% after years of battling cravings but I do less and less every year.   

You'll get there too with smoking.  I believe in you and I don't care how many times you fail.  We all have something to overcome and, as long as you keep trying, you'll never be a loser.  Not ever. So stop that thinking right now!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I will be interested in what, if any, mood-elevator the doctor might prescribe. There are medications that are sometimes used for "anti-anxiety" that are actually traditional anti-depressants. These include both Buspar and Wellbutrin. But both take a while (anywhere from a week to a month) to build up in your bloodstream, which isn't going to be helpful for acute anxiety and withdrawal.

I would think that for acute anxiety like the OP is feeling right now, a short but immediate-acting medication like Ativan or Valium (as example) might help more in the short run. Maybe they will suggest both. Most doctors refuse to prescribe Valium now because of all the addiction hysteria, but it's no more addicting than the other drugs in its class.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all