Honored Contributor

Re: I Went to Urgent Care Today

Many people get very unpleasant when they are trying to quit smoking.  It is a common occurrence.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Go to a GP if you have one.  I know that Lexapro is often prescribed for anxiety of all types and works very well.  I am not sure that going back to smoking is the best idea in the long run.  Stay strong, it will be OK!

Trusted Contributor

@Plaid Pants2----Don't be down on yourself!!!!!  Back in 98, I quit Cold Turkey a week after the National CT Day.   I was never bothered by any smoking around me.  It was 4 days after I quit, my family noticed.  3 people I LIVED with in same house. I never talked about or said anything to anyone, never craved a smoke.  In 99, a whole lot of things piled on all of us and I started up again.  Since then I am trying to quit.  Your mind has to have the MINDSET, mine is finally get back there

BE BRAVE and get the nicorette, ask your pharmicist for help.   People tend to forget, they are there for so much more than filling an RX.       GOOD LUCK!!!!!! YOU can do.---tedEbear

Contributor

Don't give up and don't be so hard on yourself. I was a smoker for about 40 years and tried "cold turkey" quitting MANY times. I even got to almost a year smoke free, and then went back and smoked even more each day. Finally when I really was ready, I had my doctor give me a prescription for Chantix. It was a miracle for me, make my quitting easy as long as I took the pill with a cracker or two, and after 7 weeks, I was able to quit for good. I have not smoked in almost 6 years, and even though I still miss it once in awhile, I will NEVER go back. Don't give up and do speak with a doctor about what might help you. Good Luck - you CAN  do it 😊

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2

I have had that kind of anxiety/panic... it is AWFUL.

After a certain amount of time, and with help, you  will begin to understand them and for me, understanding this helped me to CONTROL them.

When I called my OB/GYN (he is an understanding type) I asked for a referral to a psych.  This doctor is also understanding.

Please don't punish yourself, you are doing the best you can.

Whatever you decide, I wish you a calming peaceful feeling. Heart

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

You did try to stop and that is a very good thing.  It's rare for someone to stop smoking on their first attemot,  I read sonewhere that most people who successfully stop smoking, did it on their 4th or 5th attempt.  So, see your pcp and get help.  You can do it but not ciold turkey.

Honored Contributor

I was a smoker for about 20 years before I quite - cold turkey.  25+ years later, I still have my "souvenir" half pack of cigarettes sitting around here somewhere!!!  But I realize the cold turkey is certainly not something everyone can do.  I used lollipops and lots of pretzel sticks to help.....it seems I felt better as long as I had something like a cigarette to have in my  fingers.  

I'm so glad you're going to see a doctor soon.  And you've received great advice about Chantix.  I hope you'll read up on it a lot before going that route.  I'm hoping your doctor might lead you in a different direction for quitting.

Good luck to you.............you'll feel so much better once you become a "non-smoker"......and you'll definitely get there!  Part of the problem is WANTING to quit, and you're already there!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am surprised she didn't give you Buspar..... Non habit forming and relieves anxiety.

Honored Contributor

DO NOT see this as a sign of failure!   Your attitude and desire are in the right place----you just need physician assistance to tackle this big hurdle.   You can, and will do this, with the right help!   

Know you have many cheerleaders standing by to support you along the way.   

Honored Contributor

Still a HERO-