Esteemed Contributor

I Was Very, Very Lucky Today

When I get up in the morning, after I feed my cats, I like to step out on my back deck, and have the cool morning air wake me up.

Well, when I got home from work today, I was surprised to see my back door wide open!!!

Yes, all of my cats were accounted for, but more importantly I could have been robbed!

I live on the corner of a busy street, and there is an alley behind my house, and anybody could have just waltzed in and robbed me blind!

I was gone for about 10 hours, and for that whole time, my back door was wide open.

Yes, I am counting my luck stars, and someone was watching out for me.

I can't believe that I forgot to close and lock my back door this morning before leaving for work.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

Re: I Was Very, Very Lucky Today

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

When I get up in the morning, after I feed my cats, I like to step out on my back deck, and have the cool morning air wake me up.

Well, when I got home from work today, I was surprised to see my back door wide open!!!

Yes, all of my cats were accounted for, but more importantly I could have been robbed!

I live on the corner of a busy street, and there is an alley behind my house, and anybody could have just waltzed in and robbed me blind!

I was gone for about 10 hours, and for that whole time, my back door was wide open.

Yes, I am counting my luck stars, and someone was watching out for me.

I can't believe that I forgot to close and lock my back door this morning before leaving for work.

@Anonymous032819 I’m so happy for you. Someone up there was looking after you and your kitties.😊🙏🏻

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819  Yes, you were lucky.  I accidentally leave my back door open all of the time.

But it's not quite as bad as it sounds because I have an uncovered part of a back porch and a screened porch that leads inside the house.

I have a habit of leaving the door that leads to the screened in part open for the cats to go in and out as they please.

At least once or twice a week I'll forget and leave that door open.

I live in a very, very quiet neighborhood.  They are 1 acre lots and mine backs up to woods.

I have so many cameras (Blink and ADT) that I never worry about someone going inside.

@Anonymous032819  Your description reminds me of my daughter's house.  But she lives right in the city part of Denver.  She lives in the part of the city where the outside of the building are painted, etc.  It's very deco and 'up and coming'.  But with her area, it still means there are homeless people in tents, etc not far.

She has been having trouble with air conditioning.  She told me the landlord just gave her two of those units that vent to the outside.  She said she was afraid to put them on the bottom level because you must leave the window partially open.  (Like the one's QVC sells).

Anyway, I enjoy reading posts like  your's where you are OK and nothing bad happened.  

It was a good post with a good outcome.  Take care and stay safe...we need you here.  Fondly, AnnabellethecatHeart

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

So glad your kitties stayed put and your home was safe!

Today was indeed your lucky day, maybe you should buy a couple of lottery tickets, LOL!

You never know! 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I am happy everything was fine when you came home, that had to be frightening.  Thankfully it turned out good.

I have caught myself also leaving the back door open , not often but it only takes one time.  My back door opens to a small deck and yard and I am surrounded by houses on either side and behind.  When this happens it does frighten me  not only that someone could walk in but also my absent mindedness.  

Respected Contributor

I talked to the state police about locking my house.  They said locking up keeps the good helpers out.  So, you did the right thing.   Don't worry about it.  We are just being paranoid anymore.

Trusted Contributor

I’m glad it worked out for you; although I would’ve been way more worried about my kitties than being robbed, but that’s me.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

DH and I have always said that we would rather be robbed than have ANYTHING happen to our dog.  

Glad your cats didn't get out.  Things can be replaced.  Beloved pets can't.  

I am also glad you weren't robbed. Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  tell your daughter to cut a length of wood that she can jam between the top of the bottom window and the top of the top window. If there is wood jammed between the two they can't open the window. I've done that and it works.

Respected Contributor

Oh my! I am glad you and your kitties are safe!❤️🐱