Respected Contributor

Re: I Turned on My Heat Today

My thermostat is at 74, the heat has kicked on and I'm getting ready to put on a sweater!

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee 

believe me it's the weirdest thing to be doing Christmas on a 80+ degree day -- at first I tried to "pretend" and tell myself it was normal but there is nothing normal about it 😳🙈🥵

I'll never understand what's so great about living here except financial purposes .

@Pearlee wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

Wish someone would turn off the heat here in FL...I'd gladly turn on the heat in the house & do the "happy dance" to open a window or turn off the AC.

Today, was going to try to get in the "Christmas Spirit" and do outdoor decor...lasted about 10 minutes 🥵🥵🥵🥵...86 degrees total humidity ...

ugh...

@homedecor1. I remember the first time I was in Fla at Xmas time and saw Xmas lights on palm trees. I thought I was in a foreign country it was so odd. In fact whenever I drive into Fla  I feel like someone should be asking me for my passport at the border from GA! It being so tropical makes me think it isn't even in the USA. 😄

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

Wish someone would turn off the heat here in FL...I'd gladly turn on the heat in the house & do the "happy dance" to open a window or turn off the AC.

Today, was going to try to get in the "Christmas Spirit" and do outdoor decor...lasted about 10 minutes 🥵🥵🥵🥵...86 degrees total humidity ...

ugh...

It's coming in a couple of days. The whining and hype from the TV weather folks on the Tampa and Sarasota stations is almost at a fever pitch. 

@FrostyBabe1 

and spouse acting like we are having a snowstorm throw a sweater on for God sakes...he's all concerned that his gonna be chilly on the golf course 🙈🙄 wish that's all most had to moan about ....lol

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in the Midwest and keep our thermostat on 72 average most of the year. I find that the older I get, the colder I am. I feel badly for anyone living in a cold home in order to save $$. There are agencies that will help.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We went up to NY for the day to see kids and grandkids.  We stay outside the entire time.  It was 55*.  I bundled up, took a blanket, had a blanket on my chaise to lay on, wore earmuffs and gloves.  My DIL and I wore our masks outside just to keep our noses warm!

@Anonymous032819 I don't know how you can manage it so cold inside your home.  Don't know where you live, but I'm sure there is sunshine.  Let it work for you.  Open up your blinds and curtains and let the sun in.  

It will warm up your house.

I can do that all winter long practically at our home in the south.  

This house gets sun in the front all day.  I purposely left my shutters open, turned the heat down to 63* and it was 69 when we got home an hour ago.  If we were here and opened our front door, the sun would heat the livingroom and dining room up to 72.  Too hot now, but would be great on a 30 or 40 degree day.

I've never been a fan of cold weather, but we are considering living here permanently.  I'll be able to handle colder temps outside, but I couldn't handle a cold house all day.

Can you get on a budget plan?  So months that you don't have a high bill, will help offset the months you will have a higher one?

Trusted Contributor

No thermostat. No HVAC. Temperature extremes where we live are 45F on winter nights, and 105F on summer days.

If it's 45F outside, it's 55F inside, and we put on fleece and layers. We have a small space heater we use when it stays under 50 for several days. You know those weightd blankets that are so popular and expensive? My duvet plus a bulky handmade blanket is just as heavy and very comforting indeed.

If it's 85F outside, it's 95F inside. We turn on the fans, turn off the computer and take a lot of naps.

Works for us! The gas and electric bill is still $100 a month, but not having heat or AC fits our budget. 

Respected Contributor

It has always been too cold both winter and summer in the office and .  when I come home to my refuge, I am going to be comfortable.  Thermostat is set at 72 both winter and summer.  Home is where we relax and rejuvanate and I am going to be comfortable and enjoy my at home time.  If I have to economize on something else I will do so.  A couple more meals at home and less eating out for example.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

ugh...

It's coming in a couple of days. The whining and hype from the TV weather folks on the Tampa and Sarasota stations is almost at a fever pitch. 

@FrostyBabe1 

and spouse acting like we are having a snowstorm throw a sweater on for God sakes...he's all concerned that his gonna be chilly on the golf course 🙈🙄 wish that's all most had to moan about ....lol

Tell him to walk instead of taking a cart (if he is able), that'll warm him up quickly. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Some years back I tried 50 degrees at night when I was unemployed and wore a knit hat to bed and even my Labrador wanted to get under the covers. My cat slept on me and rolled with me to keep warm. Now it is 60 at night and 65 during the day. My house is insulated well and the furnace doesn't kick on if night time is in the 20s to 30s. I turn it to 65 when I get up. When I worked 60 when not at home.

I layer with silk long johns when really cold and wool socks all Winter. I even wear fingerless gloves when sitting. It makes a difference if one is moving or sitting. I even run a Duraflame in the livingroom where I sit as don't need the whole house heated. I often put a throw over myself in the afternoons. If my hands and feet cold I am not comfortable. My nose even can be cold.

Soon it will be below zero and still not bad as I have natural gas and good insulation so heat  bill runs around $100.  I had new windows and doors put on and that really has helped. We have had some nights in the teens. Some people burn wood but alot of work, dirty, chimney maintenance and fires possible.  I live in N. WIS. We rarely need air conditioning in the summer. 

Contributor

In MN.  My upstairs has 2 South facing windows so it gets warmer up there.  I have gas heat.  At night I turn down to 60.   Then when I get up in the morning it gets turned to 72 for about 30 minutes to warm things up down here.   Then down to 70.   Sometimes I just turn it off while I'm upstairs in my craft room.   Budget plan for the gas- $38 month.  I live in a 3 bedroom townhouse.    I would never live in a place with electric heat- too expensive.