Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Turned on My Heat Today

@50Mickey :  On Dec 23, 1998, when we lived in Mojave Desert, we went on a day trip.  When we returned home there was water running down driveway.  Our pipes froze, our ceiling in family room collapsed (taking out Christmas tree etc and accumulating 4" of water throughout our ranch style home).  We spent 2 months in a motel and USAA paid $75,000 to put our house back together.  We never moved back in; bought a bigger, better two story.  God bless USAA!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We usually keep our thermostat set between 68 & 70 degrees.It's been set for over a month already. Except for a few days here & there it's chilly here in New York.

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

The thermostat in the LR is set to 67°..but it only clicks on at night...the rest of the time the house is too warm...we have a solar greenhouse that heats most of the house...we also have a soapstone wood stove in the dining room that I keep burning from morning till night during cold months.  My house is warm.. We've lived in Colorado 43 years and I like a WARM house.  We work during the summer cutting firewood in the mountains..cut 5 full cords this past summer.

In the bedroom we keep the heat off so we sleep cool....under a down comforter and flannel sheets.  I'd rather be too warm and uncover than be too cold.. got a fire going right now..DW

This is so neat! I am impressed.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

The thermostat is a constant battle between me and my husband.  I like it cooler, he likes it warmer.  I live in the Southeast and it hasn't been until the last couple of weeks we've cooled down.  Spending the summer (and most of Spring) with AC, I look forward to opening windows and letting the fresh air in.  What does my husband do?  He closes the windows and turns the heat on.  He likes it on 70.  I find that way too high and warm.  

Honored Contributor

Wish someone would turn off the heat here in FL...I'd gladly turn on the heat in the house & do the "happy dance" to open a window or turn off the AC.

Today, was going to try to get in the "Christmas Spirit" and do outdoor decor...lasted about 10 minutes 🥵🥵🥵🥵...86 degrees total humidity ...

ugh...

Trusted Contributor

We keep our thermostat set in the mid 70's range and sometimes higher.  We also don't like to be cold and even when layering it is no guarantee of warmth.  I wear my Legacy leggings which are close to the body and a heavier weight fabric which definitely keep me toasty warm along with a long sleeve cotton t shirt and on really cold days I wear my hoodie too. I don't know if qvc is still selling those Legacy leggings but I do recommend them to everyone. 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Wish someone would turn off the heat here in FL...I'd gladly turn on the heat in the house & do the "happy dance" to open a window or turn off the AC.

Today, was going to try to get in the "Christmas Spirit" and do outdoor decor...lasted about 10 minutes 🥵🥵🥵🥵...86 degrees total humidity ...

ugh...

@homedecor1. I remember the first time I was in Fla at Xmas time and saw Xmas lights on palm trees. I thought I was in a foreign country it was so odd. In fact whenever I drive into Fla  I feel like someone should be asking me for my passport at the border from GA! It being so tropical makes me think it isn't even in the USA. 😄

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

ugh...

@homedecor1. I remember the first time I was in Fla at Xmas time and saw Xmas lights on palm trees. I thought I was in a foreign country it was so odd. In fact whenever I drive into Fla  I feel like someone should be asking me for my passport at the border from GA! It being so tropical makes me think it isn't even in the USA. 😄

@Pearlee  There were palm trees in Bethlehem. And the weather was much like Fla.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

ugh...

It's coming in a couple of days. The whining and hype from the TV weather folks on the Tampa and Sarasota stations is almost at a fever pitch. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

72 degrees though we prefer 74. The HVAC guy told us we were to keep it on 72 because it helps clear out the humidity in the house (a big issue because in only intake vent is floor level and the ducts are 50% too small for the size of the house). We had mold growing on the ceilings outside of the registers (all removed as of now) due to the AC not being on cold enough AND having the fan on "ON" instead of "AUTOMATIC". Too humid to open the windows so....yeah.

Swamp condition as usual.

"Coming to ya from Florida"