Respected Contributor

Re: I Turned on My Heat Today

I have had the heat on since early October.  Much depends on your location.  I am in north NJ and keep the heat at 65 mostly.  My husband liked it colder--around 62--but I am freezing at that temp.

Honored Contributor

Our heat is set between 70 and 74 depending on the degree of cold. It is usually at 72.

If we are cold, we turn it up.  We do not skimp on comfort.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

I turned on my electricity today. Oh, and my water faucets too.

@Pearlee.  Did you flush your outhouse?

@Kachina624  I don't have an outhouse. Perhaps you do.

Honored Contributor

I live in the "warm" south, Atlanta, but I've had the heat on for quite awhile now.  I hate being cold.

The heat in our house is natural gas.  The bills, even at what I set the thermostat at, stay really reasonable.

I've read all the posts here.  Let's just say that some of you would be uncomfortable in our house.   Again, I can't stand to be cold.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Kachina624 

837514213.gif

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Daytime thermostat when home is 68°, night time 62°.  In addition to the furnace we have 5 different size Duraflame heaters that go on when needed to keep the house comfortable. 

If I want to be cold I'll go outside lol. We have plenty of that here in Colorado. 

Honored Contributor

I'm in southern WV and our heat has been on since October.  

Right now it's a sunny 42 here with an expected high of about 50.  We repeat this again tomorrow, then cool down significantly on Monday, with measurable snow coming on Tuesday.   

We have all electric, and our thermostat stays on 72 year round.   I pay the same budget amount monthly, and currently have a credit equal to 2 months of our normal bill.     I use that in February and March when our bills are highest.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With our new AC and heater, plus being on budget billing (for both electric and gas) we are saving money, and our thermostat stays on 72 all year round too.  

Like my Daddy said (God rest his soul), I'm NOT going to be cold..  My sister keeps her house cold, I mean cold.. I told her on the phone living in Georgia we don't use TVA, to go on budget billing with Georgia Natural Gas, hail she can afford it..  Nope being cold, at least to me, makes people just not happy and with my osteoarthritis, nope I hurt enough as it is.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Kachina624  I don't have an outhouse. Perhaps you do.

@Pearlee    Are you referring to dripping your faucets to prevent frozen pipes and turning on your heat? We may have to drip the outdoor spigots next week in North GA.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The thermostat in the LR is set to 67°..but it only clicks on at night...the rest of the time the house is too warm...we have a solar greenhouse that heats most of the house...we also have a soapstone wood stove in the dining room that I keep burning from morning till night during cold months.  My house is warm.. We've lived in Colorado 43 years and I like a WARM house.  We work during the summer cutting firewood in the mountains..cut 5 full cords this past summer.

In the bedroom we keep the heat off so we sleep cool....under a down comforter and flannel sheets.  I'd rather be too warm and uncover than be too cold.. got a fire going right now..DW