Honored Contributor

Re: I Thought When I got Older.....

I find that the older i get,    i simply  get aggravated the way some treat us older people,we tend to get ignored, people do not seem to care about  the older ones,   loss for me is crushing.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@wismiss   Know exactly what you're saying.  For me, I also realize that we retire (if you're in my group) so we have time for all the doctor appointments!!!!! LOL

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012  I have some of the same similarities as in your post.  Totally understand.

Honored Contributor

I never thought loss of any type gets older as we age.  I'm sure losing a spouse, friend or pet hurts every bit as much at 89 as it does at 39.  Perhaps more because we don't have time to find new loved ones.  My BFF is 77 and she says she's she's the same woman she has always been.  I'm 60 and always thought it was something she said just to feel better or she was in denial.   At 60, I get it.  I'm older but I'm still me.  I just have less time to do the things I want to do.

Super Contributor

It seems the older we get the more losses we endure unfortunately.

Instead of life getting easier it seems to get more difficult.

Loving and losing are part of life and we just try to cope the best we can.

The more we love the more hurt we feel I guess. Never easy!

Honored Contributor

My farm grandparents were the first deaths I had to face, at 13 and nearly 16 years old.  I was extremely close to my grandparents, and took their deaths very hard.   

Two months after I graduated high school, moms brother died, and 3 years later my Papaw died.   I saw very heavy, extended grieving from my mom, my aunt, and my Mamaw with these deaths.   I was 21; heartbroken to lose these special men in my life, but the years it took to get Mamaw on a steady path of self care, gave me time to work thru the grief process as an adult.   

I came to realize my life on the farm showed me how everything has a season; the orchard fruit, the garden vegetables, the field corn, and our livestock.   We enjoyed each day and how events good or bad, touched and shaped our lives.  Even tho many years have passed and farm life is a dim memory, I appreciate having that experience as my foundation in life.   

I know I will see all of my loved ones again, but my season is now, and until it's over, I'm going to appreciate every day and every opportunity.    

Respected Contributor

@RedTop  Your post just reminded me:

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; ... A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@wismiss I agree, life is hard and death is harder.  My father before he passed said most of his friends were dead and gone, he was 82.  He had his obit written out and made me put in in my lockbox for the occassion.  His pallbearers were friends and deacons from our church.  Most of the ones his age were honorary.  

I lost my little dog July 4 and he died at my feet in a horrible manner.  I felt guilty because I could not ease his pain when it happened.  My husband says, it was better it happened at home, we are still unable to go in our vets office.  I could not imagine him passing without us there.  Our pets give us UNCONDITIONAL LOVE and for that we can be thankful.  God protected the animals on the ark from the great flood so I know he takes our pets under his wing and we will be reunited in love someday!!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@RedTop  Your post just reminded me:

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; ... A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

@IamMrsG   🎵 Turn, turn, turn ......🎵 💕

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Super Contributor

As I age, I've come to realize that life is a series of Hello's and Goodbye's.  It all the stuff in the middle that you have to really make count.