Honored Contributor

I Think Some Companies Are Slowing Returns

I have decided that some companies are simply holding returns to make an extra buck on interest.

It seems to me that several companies I buy from (Talbots in particular) are holding returns forever--even if you call about them.

I have a Talbots card with a high interest payment.  Which I normally pay off.  But now my returns are taking forever and the charges roll into the next payment period.  And frankly I think it's on purpose because it is just routine with them now.

So are you having this issue?  MOST places are fine, returns are credited in a few days or a week after they get it, but not Talbots!  I know Covid and issues, but this has just started to seem fishy to me.  And they have their own card, rewards and free shipping etc. . . So now the "rewards" are not being worth the free shipping, points, etc. because I'm paying interest.  

Honored Contributor

Re: I Think Some Companies Are Slowing Returns

@Sooner   They could be having labor problems.  Almost every business is complaining they can't get help.  Given a choice, they'd probably give priority to shipping new orders over processing returns. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner   They could be having labor problems.  Almost every business is complaining they can't get help.  Given a choice, they'd probably give priority to shipping new orders over processing returns. 

@Kachina624 I am skeptical of that.  Sorry but I think it is simply a higher profit motoive.  It is too consistent and odd that it seems to not improve. 

Honored Contributor

If they are charging you interest on a return, they should refund that interest.  If they aren't charging you a late fee for not paying for the returned item, then they obviously know it was returned and you also shouldn't be charged the interest.  

If they are charging you interest and then not crediting your account for it I would call CS and demand a refund.  If the credit card is backed by a bank, let them know you will report it to the FTC.  If it's not backed by a bank, I probably wouldn't use it anymore and at least report it to BBB.

Honored Contributor

Someone who actually knows would have to tell us, but I have a suspicion that as more and more shoppers have turned to online buying, the percentage of returns has skyrocketed with the new purchasing.  No matter how long they hold paying out the return to the consumer, at current interest rates on money in short-term investments, it would not begin to pay for the cost of managing the returns.

I know that doesn't begin to explain why some companies are still coping better than others, but we'd need more info to know that, too.  Companies like Amazon and Walmart and Target which are platforms for other companies and are also 2 to 5 times as big as QVC ought to be doing better since they have more ways to protect their own merchandise.

@Sooner I have been fortunate with my few QVC returns that not one has rolled into the next cycle, but if one did, I'd pay my whole card charge because the interest on every card I know about is higher than the interest I get on the money I use to pay monthly expenses.  Of course, I can do that because I refuse to buy so much I couldn't pay cash if I could find what I wanted locally.  I know many depend on getting those return dollars.

Honored Contributor

I doubt that they are earning interest on their working capital from "returned items"......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Someone who actually knows would have to tell us, but I have a suspicion that as more and more shoppers have turned to online buying, the percentage of returns has skyrocketed with the new purchasing.  No matter how long they hold paying out the return to the consumer, at current interest rates on money in short-term investments, it would not begin to pay for the cost of managing the returns.

I know that doesn't begin to explain why some companies are still coping better than others, but we'd need more info to know that, too.  Companies like Amazon and Walmart and Target which are platforms for other companies and are also 2 to 5 times as big as QVC ought to be doing better since they have more ways to protect their own merchandise.

@Sooner I have been fortunate with my few QVC returns that not one has rolled into the next cycle, but if one did, I'd pay my whole card charge because the interest on every card I know about is higher than the interest I get on the money I use to pay monthly expenses.  Of course, I can do that because I refuse to buy so much I couldn't pay cash if I could find what I wanted locally.  I know many depend on getting those return dollars.

@millieshops The problem is that IF I paid the whole amount, it would be a sizeable figure on the items I returned and the Talbots card is 24.99 percent interest.  AND then it takes forever and a day to get a refund on what you paid for the return.  

It's not about what you are talking about in this response.  It isn't ability or desire to day.  It's about a return taking about 2 months to even show up as returned, then even longer for the credit to appear as credited back.  And it has happened more, this is the third time recently.

This last time on 3 expensive items. And no I am not going shopping elsewhere because their clothes are great and I hate what Dillards has.  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

These conspiracy theories make me laugh!

Honored Contributor

The BANK which owns the credit card is the entity charging interest

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

I have noticed J Jill takes longer and the items sent back still comes in on my bill. My remedy has been to order less and be more selective. 

I have also noticed sales are not what they have been in the past.

Floral Pillow