Valued Contributor

Re: I Suppose Charlotte Actually Does Favor Queen Elizabeth More Than Any Other Family Member

Charlotte is adorable. Both of them are, and the new one coming will be as well. Good British genes.
However to whomever said Queen Elisabeth is not a pretty woman....I am 1/2 English and spent lots of time there in my youth, had loads of cousins my age; Aunties & Uncles and my Gran & Grandadas a child. I went to a school that's named after one of my ancestors!~until high school.
Anyway back to the Queen...if you look at her in photos through the years; she was beautiful! And now, in her 90's she still is a beat woman for her age. And when she smiles her entire face lights up!
Charles? He was handsome in his 20's & 30's. He has not aged well in his face at least. But, while he may have been the cheating husband; he's had a hard life for a royal. The Monarchy will be re-energised when William & Kate become king & queen. 🇬🇧
Honored Contributor

Re: I Suppose Charlotte Actually Does Favor Queen Elizabeth More Than Any Other Family Member

@Gemspirit  I beg to differ.  Charles was never handsome when he was younger.  I think he got better looking with age.

He grew into those infamous ears.  I like him better now because he stands up for himself and is not as whimpy as he used to be.  He finally grew a backbone.  

When he married DIana, my mother and I watched their wedding on TV.  My mother said, wouldn't you want to marry him and be a princess?

i said " No way, He is too whimpy and gross." I felt so sorry for Diana.  She could have done much better.

Honored Contributor

Excluding the children, because they're really too young to know how they'll turn out and they are cute now, the Windsors, as is their adopted name, have not been blessed with good looks. As for the good British genes, the British royal lineage is hardly compellingly or overwhelmingly British. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

i don't know how this nice topic went the way it did? So Charles is not attractive and made mistakes. This is about those precious babies and their parents. It seems the family has moved on maybe outsiders should too. William and Kate have a beautiful growing family why not focus on that. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi @golding76,

I agree with you.

I do think that Charlotte does resemble Queen Elizabeth in appearance.

I always thought that Prince George resembles Duchess Kate's Dad, if anyone has seen photos of her Dad. I think that little George looks more like her Dad, and resembles that side of her family. Smiley Happy

They're such cute children, and I love to see photos of them. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm going to be the dissenter here! I think she looks a lot like William, especially around the eyes. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

At Pippa's wedding you could see Kate has her hands full with her son, George. At one point she had to take him aside to settle him down a bit.  I love that he is all boy with a little mischievous side to him.  He's probably going to be like his Uncle Harry! 

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

i don't know how this nice topic went the way it did? So Charles is not attractive and made mistakes. This is about those precious babies and their parents. It seems the family has moved on maybe outsiders should too. William and Kate have a beautiful growing family why not focus on that. 

Pretty much every thread about any of the Royal Family always goes south. You can bank on it. It's why I don't even read most of them any more. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

Excluding the children, because they're really too young to know how they'll turn out and they are cute now, the Windsors, as is their adopted name, have not been blessed with good looks. As for the good British genes, the British royal lineage is hardly compellingly or overwhelmingly British. 

I guess people who don't know British history, and the ancestry of those who marry into British royalty, honestly don't know this. British royalty, dating back to the 1700s, was German, not British. Before that it was Dutch. Queen Victoria's mother was German as well. Most of the Royal Family spoke little or no English or spoke it with a German or Dutch accent, for literally close to two centuries.

The look of the Hanoverians has been quite prominent in the Royal Family from the first George to the present day.

Prince Phillip's ancestors were German, Russian, Danish and Greek.

So much for good British blood. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do not wish to be a hair-splitter, but Prince Philip is not Greek by blood.  As someone of Greek descent, I was always interested in this point.  The Greeks, it is said, refused to be ruled by another Greek, so they preferred that their royals come from German stock.  (Much like their somewhat new airport.  They put the Germans in charge of the building and operations.  At least, that is what I heard years ago.)

Must say, though, some of his family got into the Greek thing full tilt.  I just read that his mother became a Greek Orthodox nun. This, after having borne five children.  She had suffered mentally because Philip's father abandoned her for his mistress.  Mother went to an asylum for a while.  After she exited the asylum, she began to do charitable work and eventually established an order and took vows herself. 

Prince Philip's background:

Here's a look at the life of Great Britain's Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth II.

Personal:
Birth date: 
June 10, 1921
Birthplace: Corfu, Greece
Birth name: Prince Philip of Greece
Father: Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark
Mother: Princess Alice of Battenburg
Marriage: Queen Elizabeth II (November 20, 1947-present)
Children: Edward, Earl of Wessex (March 10, 1964); Andrew, Duke of York (February 19, 1960); Anne, Princess Royal (September 15, 1950); Charles, Prince of Wales (November 14, 1948)
Military: British Royal Navy, 1939-1953
Other Facts:
His full title is HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich, Knight of the Garter, Knight of the Thistle, Order of Merit, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire, Companion of the Order of Australia, Companion of The Queen's Service Order, Privy Counsellor.
His ancestry is not Greek by blood, but English, Russian, German/Prussian and Danish.
Prince Philip is the youngest of five children and the only son.
Is a third cousin of his wife, the Queen, and like her, he is a great-great-grandchild of Queen Victoria. He is also Queen Victoria's oldest living great-great-grandchild.