Honored Contributor

Re: I SURVIVED THE GREAT POWER OUTAGE OF 2019!

Don't think we will ever have to face any water related problems in Amarillo, but, thank you all for your kind thoughts.

Respected Contributor

We must have posted at the same time @ms tyrion 2! I can see were on the same page. Literally! 😎
Honored Contributor

Our power outages usually last about 3 days and happen maybe every coupla months.

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

A polar cold front is moving into Amarillo in the next few days. Frigid temps a nd possible snow...in October.

Still smug?

Respected Contributor

One thing the geniusus apparently didn't THINK of is when you are rural (like most of the areas they turned off) is that you have a well....run by power! So no power no WATER to fight those fires! NO WATER! This is nothing but  (forgive the pun) a power play by our BIG power co. They are showing everyone who is boss (them).

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819      So glad your power is back on! It must be a relief and you did the happy dance!   Nothing much worse than no power, we are all so dependent on it today.  I hope this is not a continuing saga for you.... it really sucks. 

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Our power outages usually last about 3 days and happen maybe every coupla months.

it happens to us also @Group 5 minus 1 and generally no longer a surprise.

it can happen in the colder months and it can happen in the hot months with strong wind and lightening strikes. you do learn to adapt. it is never fun, but we dp get through it. we had one recently during the winter months that lasted six days.we bundled up at night. thank goodness our hot water heater is gas.

qvc needs to bring out their portable charges and crank lights and flash lights. everyone in the home should have one, every room in the home should have one.

hoping everyone will have only minor inconveniences with this going on in california.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:
People who think this is only going to happen in California are deluding themselves. The smug "I wouldn't live there" will certainly come back to bite you. Never sit back on your laurels because climate change is impacting everyone. And power outages, water shortages, fires and flooding are coming to a state near you.

@bathina   Water shortages are a complex topic.

First, we have non-recharging aquifers that have dried up and will never recover.

We have "water barons" buying up land and eventually will control usage and price to consumers.  Privatization of water companies - another factor coupled with water barons make for a diminishing supply.

We still have decades of chemical plants dumping toxic waste into water ways; those chemicals do not simply wash away.  While SOME regulations have diminished water pollution by industry, it still goes on without full checks.

We have, even on this board, people moaning that they won't give up their landscaping no matter the reason.  Even assigning watering days for home landscaping is just a cute way of appeasing those, like myself, who want to get rid of frivolous landscaping.  It doesn't work for me.

What works, in my neck of the woods, is the call to get involved in our water supply.

Workshops on how to make your landscaping sensible with low or no water designs.

People are unwilling to change and that causes just as much if not more problems regarding our water.  I understand people grow gardens for food and that's fine.  I did it for years myself.

But to say one won't give up LANDSCAPING and change because the problem won't affect them in the future-well it makes one want to spit.

And don't be fooled by saying "I have a well" because wells can dry up.  Having a well doesn't give one carte blanche to use water foolishly.

States that have water collection restrictions and/or banning-rain barrels on homeowner propertys are frowned upon and there goes another way of conserving water.

We turn on our faucets and assume all will be well.  It won't be and it's true-ALL OF US are facing the effects of climate change; whether directly or indirectly.

However, I draw the line at some of the hysteria out there because *some* have made a mockery of those of us who have been involved since the first Earth Day.

When misinformation it spewed, those who have not kept up just believe it all.

Instead of discussing and actually working on change, they follow blindly  without a clue.

At least in my area (and I'm sure throughout the state) those workshops are a start; when our water bill comes in there is always a newsletter about conservation.

It isn't all climate change, it isn't all water barons/private water companies and it isn't all the average person. 

It's all of it.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@bathina wrote:
People who think this is only going to happen in California are deluding themselves. The smug "I wouldn't live there" will certainly come back to bite you. Never sit back on your laurels because climate change is impacting everyone. And power outages, water shortages, fires and flooding are coming to a state near you.

@bathina   Water shortages are a complex topic.

First, we have non-recharging aquifers that have dried up and will never recover.

We have "water barons" buying up land and eventually will control usage and price to consumers.  Privatization of water companies - another factor coupled with water barons make for a diminishing supply.

We still have decades of chemical plants dumping toxic waste into water ways; those chemicals do not simply wash away.  While SOME regulations have diminished water pollution by industry, it still goes on without full checks.

We have, even on this board, people moaning that they won't give up their landscaping no matter the reason.  Even assigning watering days for home landscaping is just a cute way of appeasing those, like myself, who want to get rid of frivolous landscaping.  It doesn't work for me.

What works, in my neck of the woods, is the call to get involved in our water supply.

Workshops on how to make your landscaping sensible with low or no water designs.

People are unwilling to change and that causes just as much if not more problems regarding our water.  I understand people grow gardens for food and that's fine.  I did it for years myself.

But to say one won't give up LANDSCAPING and change because the problem won't affect them in the future-well it makes one want to spit.

And don't be fooled by saying "I have a well" because wells can dry up.  Having a well doesn't give one carte blanche to use water foolishly.

States that have water collection restrictions and/or banning-rain barrels on homeowner propertys are frowned upon and there goes another way of conserving water.

We turn on our faucets and assume all will be well.  It won't be and it's true-ALL OF US are facing the effects of climate change; whether directly or indirectly.

However, I draw the line at some of the hysteria out there because *some* have made a mockery of those of us who have been involved since the first Earth Day.

When misinformation it spewed, those who have not kept up just believe it all.

Instead of discussing and actually working on change, they follow blindly  without a clue.

At least in my area (and I'm sure throughout the state) those workshops are a start; when our water bill comes in there is always a newsletter about conservation.

It isn't all climate change, it isn't all water barons/private water companies and it isn't all the average person. 

It's all of it.

Well said, @Cakers3 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.